newbie help, Please

Ok, so I decided to build a LC meter based on 89c2051 microcontroller. I have 35 yrs experience in electronics and I have limited experience flashing at90s2313 with a home made programmer.

So I made the python programmer and used py2051.exe to program the 89c2051. see

I cannot get the blink led test circuit to work.... I do get a burn success message but very very fast! If I for eg, left the chip out it gives an error msg, likewise if I unplug the power, likewise if I unplug the 25pin printer cable... so it seems to be doing something. I am using a celeron d processor at 2.9g hz and win XT

Maybe my computer is too fast?

Also the circuit is so very simple and basic..... but the only time I can get oscillation is by using a 4 mHz xtal . 10mHz and 11.05mHz xtals show a flat oscilloscope trace. Also only pin 4 shows oscillation never pin 5. Is this normal? Should a chip whether programmed or not show a clock pulses (oscillation) ? Maybe I have bad chips? I bought them from Digikey. This is very frustrating for me with all my electronic backgnd... but I can bear it (smile)

All I want is to be able to program a chip just to use in my LC meter circuit..

Thanks for any reply....

Reply to
mach7phil

Instead of a scope, I used a freq counter and found out that there IS oscillation. So now I strongly suspect that the problen is in the programming. Any ideas?

Thanks again

Reply to
mach7phil

You might want to check the pulses coming from the PC's printer port to the AT89C2051. Do they look right on a scope? If you aren't getting any pulses, maybe your Windows XP is blocking access to the port.

Have you loaded the DriverLINX Port I/O Driver ? That's the one I use, and it does work OK. I am not sure why SST doesn't have it on their site anymore, though.

mw

snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com wrote:

Reply to
mw