Need C based matrix math library?

Hello all

I'm looking for an open source (or other) free floating point (not double)
matrix math library. The library must be in standard C (not C++) with source
(compile by any standard C compiler).

Any suggestions or own experiences?

Re: Need C based matrix math library?

It's not free but still useful (comes with a book).  Numerical Recipes in C.

Mind you, its use of array indices starting from 1 can be muddling.

Re: Need C based matrix math library?

Grab the Fortran edition instead. I found it easier to translate from
that than to use their translations.

Robert

Re: Need C based matrix math library?

If you can't find anything else, hunt down the template numerical toolkit
and translate the bits you need into C from C++.

I don't know about good C versions.

--
www.wescottdesign.com

Re: Need C based matrix math library?

Most are in Fortran or C++, I'm afraid.  You could take Fortran BLAS/
LAPAC from netlib and use f2c to give you C code (a one-off task).

Large chunks of Atlas (perhaps all?) BLAS is in C.  Could be useful, but
I believe that the build process is hairy.

You could look into the VSIPL library.  I think that there is a free
reference implementation, but it might be in C++.

I've not used any of them, I'm afraid.  It's not as though matrix math is
difficult to write, particularly if you've got a copy of Golub and Van
Loan beside you.  (OK, writing matrix math routines that are as fast as
Atlas probably *is* difficult, but that's not necessarily the goal, for
embedded systems.)

Cheers,

--
Andrew

Re: Need C based matrix math library?
GNU Scientific Library (GSL)?  It's got matrix & vector ops (BLAS, linear
algebra, eigensystems, etc) and is in C, I believe.

Al Dunstan, Software Engineer
OptiMetrics, Inc.