NEC V20 replacement

Does anybody knows some manufacturer of a replacement for the NEC V20 (or Intel 8088)? I have learned Innovasic offers some 80188 and derivatives replacements but no direct replacement for the former ones. This is for a legacy product and I would like to leave its software (and hardware if possible) as untouched as possible. As a second alternative we consider using some IP, if available.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Elder.

Reply to
ih8sp4m

I think the best you can do is something like an RDC R8822.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I very much doubt you will find a replacement. Almost everything in Xx86 line will handle all the x86 instructions of the V20, but none of them will handle the 8080 instruction set ability. If you don't need that ability, then you only want a replacement for the x86 coding, which should not be a problem.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

There is one catch if the V20 is replaced by a 8088 derivative: The V20 will also run

8080/8085 opcodes in a special emulation mode, so a replacement will not work if the 8080/8085 mode is used.
--
Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tauno Voipio

OP stated he would accept an 8088 substitute. Was the V20's emulation mode ever used for anything besides CP/M-80 emulation? :)

Reply to
larwe

Maybe for running some other legacy 8085 code.

My use was just a CP/M emulator running on a PC/XT with DOS 2.11.

--
Tauno Voipio

PS. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tauno Voipio

The V20 couldn't run 8085 code. Only 8080 (and 8086).

        Joyeux Noel, Bonne Annee.