Medical grade network connection

Hi. I need to connect an embedded computer to a host through a high speed link. The embedded computer will be at the same floating ground as circuitry connected to a patient. So I need 4KV AC isolation from mains supply ground and other I/O. I do not have much experience with network circuitry though. NIC isolation transformers usually guarantee

1500Vac isolation. I would appreciate having suggestions on parts that could meet my requirements or alternative ways to connect this hardware with a computer.

TIA.

Elder.

Reply to
ih8sp4m

You can use:

- a pulse transformer with separated windings

- a high-isolation photo-coupler or a coupler made of a light pipe with emitter/receiver diodes

- piezo transformer

- rf transceivers and more...

- Henry

Mad@Spammers schrieb in Nachricht ...

Reply to
Henry

Fiberoptic. It's a simplyst way.

It's can be 2 IR LED, 2 IR phototransistor and 2 pice (RXD TXD) wide fiberoptic. But much better is sapetial receiver-transmitter ("driver" ?)

It's way for optical isolation for ANY voltage. And very cheap.

Reply to
artem

Optical fiber.

No electrical connection whatsoever.

HP makes some very nice parts for this kind of thing.

Reply to
John R. Strohm

Use high speed opto-isolators for digital signals and an RS422 connection. Most likely, you will require the same isolation on both sides of the cable. You can have high speed synchronous RS422 transmission with clock recovery with a DPLL circuit in the receiver, that spares two wire pairs.

The Motorola MPC8xx processors have the required communications facilities for such a configuration.

To isolate from the other I/O, you will need isolated power for the RS422 interface circuits. The Texax Instruments (Burr Brown products dicision) DCR01 Series provides some isolation, perhaps not enough for your aplication.

Sincerely,

- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.

9130 Place de Montgolfier Montreal, Qc H2M 2A1

Tel.: (514)385-5691 Fax: (514)385-5900

e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@connotech.com

Reply to
Thierry Moreau

Use a battery operated embedded computer.

/us

Mad@Spammers wrote:

Reply to
US