MAC to MAC connectivity

Hi,

As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip. The difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have two closely coupled and redundant PHY .

Is it possible to connect two MAC (SGMII) directly point-to-point, bypassing the PHY completely? Or is it necessary to have at least some PHY functionality, even if it is a point to point link?

Kind regards,

Stephen

Reply to
Steve

I suppose it works.

Cross connect RXD[] to TXD[]. Cross connect RX_DV to TX_EN, and provide a 125 MHz clock (could be supplied from another FPGA pin)

Reply to
Arlet Ottens

Generally, It should be possible if you have your MAC with some basic PHY within it. Some PHYs are not replacable and theire requirement is a must. I think, PHYs cannot be bypassed so easily.

Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbalaguru