looking for Rotary Encoders

RE as in the kind you find on stereo for volume control, they tend to have
detents, and also feel "damped" as you turn them.

Having a hard time finding:
- inexpensive
- have switch when you press the knob for user navigation "select"
- 4 wire design, common, 2 direction, 1 switch
- easy to obtain

Also what about a good source of larger 1.5" knobs? nice for navigation.

Can anyone point one out.

Richard.

Re: looking for Rotary Encoders
On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 11:25:54 -0400, the renowned "The Mind Factory INC"

Yes..

5 pins (the momentary switch is isolated).

Yes, indeed.

1.25" black diamond-knurled aluminum anodized shell okay?

E-mail me and I'll send some data.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: looking for Rotary Encoders
Have a look at the Bourns EPS. But I am affraid they are not very cheap.
WE now use a replacement (not footprint compatible) but I don't know
make/type. Printed on the back:

   ddm
   427

Drawback of this device is that the shaft is electrically connected to
one of the pushbutton contacts. Cost us a few FET's before we found out.
No problem when using a plastic knob.

This device uses a custom knob (plastic) of about 1.75".

Stef.

Re: looking for Rotary Encoders
Try COPAL devices  - a bit costy, but otherwise very good...

regards

Dejan

Re: looking for Rotary Encoders
On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 11:25:54 -0400, "The Mind Factory INC"

Digikey
www.digikey.com

Panasonic, CTS,Bourns and others.
From $2.50 and up

Re: looking for Rotary Encoders

    I've wondered why the mechanical-switch ones (rotary quadrature
encoders) are two or three dollars (Digikey's 1 or 10 qty) yet the
optointerrupter ones (the same thing that there are two of in each of
umpteen million computer mice, made and sold at really low cost) start
at $20. I would have guess that high-end oscilloscopes and logic
analyzers [I recall an HP model where this was the ONLY input device]
were not the only application of opto rotary encoders. I've used a
video monitor that had one for setup, but thinking about the cost and
low usage, I presume it used a cheap, mechanical-switch model.
   Maybe the OP was only looking at/for the opto ones and not the
mechanical-switch ones.

Re: looking for Rotary Encoders
I've used lots of opto rotary encoders from US Digital. Very well
built,better than HP,esp. for install + repairs in products. Cost is
relative .Cheap mechanical units aren't made 'forever',opto's usually are.If
you factor in cost over limetime of product,optos win everytime.
Also opto unit have a broader range of counts per revolution( up to 4000+)
mech maybe 256 ?
hth
jay

Re: looking for Rotary Encoders

Have a look at Alps gear for the rotary encoders with switches. The website is
atrocious, but I eventually found something like what you may be looking for.
They've got insulated shafts, non-insulated shafts, buttons, etc.

http://www3.alps.co.jp/alpscom /

--

Regards
David Milne