Lockheed's F-22 Raptor Gets Zapped by International Date Line

The future is Windows !!! (UK) The Type 45 destroyers now being launched will run Windows for Warships: and that's not all. The attack submarine Torbay has been retrofitted with Microsoft-based command systems.

-Giacomo-

(From memory, could be wrong.) F16 fighters - The difference being that this bug was found during simulations, and the software was fixed long before the airplane's actual first flight.

Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

I don't know about general aviation pilots in general, but at least the South-Korean airline pilots tried to fly from Europe across the North Pole to Asia, but managed to make a 170 degree turn at the North Pole and were shot down in Eastern Karelia south of Murmansk. Apparently the sun and the wrist watch is not a sufficient reference:-).

Of course, this same airline is (in)famous of the KAL007 flight and later on of the incident at Anchorage airport :-).

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

Is this typical of US navigation training ?

The US air force managed to bomb Prague, when their target was to cause a holocaust in Dresden more than a 100 km away :-) in WW-II.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

I used to work on F16 so that is likely where I've heard the tale and somehow got it mixed with Tornado. It seemed plausible because Tornado was predominantly tested in Northern Europe and wouldn't have gone near the equator until well into trials.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

Er, huh? Up and out of what?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  MY income is ALL
                                  at               disposable!

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 07:23:20 -0600, Giacomo- wrote (in article ):

Since the UK hasn't been a significant factor in naval warfare since Trafalgar, I don't suppose it really matters.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
 who have not got it."  - George Bernard Shaw

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 02:29:04 -0600, Walter Banks wrote (in article ):

Well, a windows altimeter would say (pigeon graphics):

  • Please wait, recalculating altitude +
  • XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX________________ +
  • 65% Done +

Soon followed by a blue image with the words:

PLEASE CONTACT YOUR HARDWARE VENDOR

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
 who have not got it."  - George Bernard Shaw
Reply to
Randy Howard

Until that nuke gets launched by accident...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. I think I'd
                                  at               better go back to my DESK

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 10:47:22 -0600, Grant Edwards wrote (in article ):

If the wiring was done by the same outfit that does Jags, then it won't fire anyway. :-)

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
 who have not got it."  - George Bernard Shaw
Reply to
Randy Howard

I got my private license training flying from St. Paul, Minnesota. The cross-country flight was typically to Rochester and back. You can see the Mayo Clinic almost as soon as you reach any significant altitude but students quite regularly ended up in Iowa. Likewise, on the return, you can hardly miss Minneapolis/St. Paul stretching about 30 miles at right angles to the flight path and visible all the way, but students would have to be retrieved from somewhere in the direction of Duluth. I also wondered how that little stream called the Mississippi River could be missed.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

A lot of my first serious cross country flying was close enough to the magnetic pole to need to factor in compass changes in flight. ( I remember one flight that was -4 degrees / hour added on a base of about -90 degrees) Compass north was west . The only electronic aids were 50 watt NDB's spaced about 300 miles apart.

We were flying freight in a Canso (Canadian PBY Catalina) refuge from the Second world war. We got real good finding our track and flying to a mark on the horizon. I was 19 and could not believe that someone would pay me to do this. Part of the basic skill set was a very good sense of where you were. At the time 16 mile maps with lots of errors were the best available.

w..

Reply to
Walter Banks

Didn't they sink the Bismarck after Trafalgar?

--
Joe Wright
                     --- Albert Einstein ---

My instinct, before noon, would be to keep the sun to starboard, after noon to port. Assuming I had started from the east coast. Diddle for further knowledge.

CBFalconer

... snip ...

This is abysmally ignorant. Just because Mahan didn't write about events after Trafalger is not an excuse.

CBFalconer

The Argentinians may disagree with that - not that they stand too high in the rankings :)

-- C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays The computer obeys and wins. | A better way to focus the sun You lose and Bill collects. | licences available see |

Steve O'Hara-Smith

+===========================================================+ | Windows recommends that you set launch nuke to automatic. | | | | Would you like Windows to change this setting for you? | | | +===========================================================+
--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
Virtual Logic Pty Ltd,

Heh, imagine if the actual plane's fuel gauge worked like most windows 'fuel gauges' - as soon as the nozzle from the refuelling tanker had made contact with the plane it would go up to 98% and then sit there until the refuelling was actually done...

And if some 'antivirus' software found a virus in the fuel...

"AVG has detected a virus in your incoming fuel and your fuel tank has been jettisoned."

:)

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
Virtual Logic Pty Ltd,
21-25 King St, Rockdale, 2216
Ph: +612-9599-3255 Fax: +612-9599-3266
Reply to
Mark McDougall

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:15:14 -0600, CBFalconer wrote (in article ):

No, but your response is. I was just kidding around, no need to become the political correctness czar.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
 who have not got it."  - George Bernard Shaw
Reply to
Randy Howard

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:17:09 -0600, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote (in article ):

Fair enough. :-)

Glad to see some still have a sense of humor. I actually got hate mail on this thread. I must remember that only a handle of famous television personalities are allowed to make such statements without a paragraph of disclaimers and emoticons following them. Or, I can just not worry about it...