Implications of two transformers on Ethernet port?

I'm trying to rework an existing application (based around an Intel SBC) to use a different SBC, and in the process I need to make a daughterboard that holds two USB connectors, an RJ45 jack, and a couple of other parts. The BLU516J-xxx series of stacked connectors from Bothhand is cosmetically ideal (it consists of two USB sockets, one RJ45 and three integral LEDs), but this connector is only available in integral-magnetics flavors.

Basically what I'm building is an extension cord of sorts; it will have an RJ45 plug on one end (going into the SBC's RJ45 jack) and the other end will go to a daughterboard that mounts up on the connector panel of the device.

However, it's not feasible for me to tell our assembly folks to desolder the on-board jack (with its integral magnetics) on the SBC.

Given that I don't know much about the eldritch mysteries of analog electronics, and nothing at all about the nature of Ethernet's analog side, is my plan even slightly likely to work, or should I just use some different connector, no magnetics, that isn't as sexy and one-piece?

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Are these variants /always/ going to have the extension cable attached?

If so, perhaps have a build option for the SBC without magnetics. It might make confusion over stock control likely, however.

Stuart Tyrrell Stuart Tyrrell Developments.

Reply to
Stuart Tyrrell

Yes. But we don't manufacture the SBC, and in our quantities it adds significant cost to the board to order it customized with items missing. (If we could order it with special options, we'd like to skip one of the Ethernet MACs, and a couple of other fairly major parts. But it costs more to get it without those parts than with!).

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards