HT > 200 C design

I am looking for microcontroller system ( MCU ,EPROM , FLASH , RAM, Gate Arrays ) capable of above 200 C operational ( for downhole equipment ) . So far I have foud Honeywell's HTMOS series but cannot find any EPROm , PROM or RTC parts. Does anybody know another MCU manufacturer for >200C applications ?

Reply to
Radim Stepanik

The Honeywell parts are ROM, so I'd assume the std deployment is to put a RAM loader into the ROM, and run their uC/RAM combination. [ or, just prove your code, and pay the mask charges ? :) ]

It would make sense for Honeywell to offer a std part with a RAM loader, but I have not seen specific info.

High temp operation is a lifetime/temp tradeoff.

Another approach would be to try a device like Infineons new XC866, which is Automotive rated, and has ECC Flash, and treat them as finite life/disposable - you could deploy 2,3... in the same location for some redundancy.

If the time down the hole is not weeks, you can also design a system with high termal inertia, and low conductance ( eg copper slug in a thermos ), which buys you some operational life, and tolerance of high temp zones.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Gate

) . So

PROM or

applications

Couldn't you use Peltier effect modules to cool down the MCU ?

Reply to
Lanarcam

The problem with Peltiers is that you do not only have to sink the heat generated by the electronics, but also the heat generated by the very low efficiency Peltier element itself. If the device is submerged into a liquid with good convection, this is not a problem, but otherwise, getting rid of the MCU+Peltier heat can be a problem.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

Un bel giorno Radim Stepanik digitò:

Can you consider a FPGA? Look for Peter Alfke articles in comp.arch.fpga, there are some threads when they speak of oil drilling applications and FPGAs, for example:

asd
Reply to
dalai lamah

SNIP

One of the ways to improve thermal inertia may be a mantle filled with a compound that needs an enourmous amounts of joules to melt. I remember vaguely that one of the well logging instruments from Dresser Atlas in the

1980's used a similair method.

Wim

Reply to
Wim Ton