High speed USB devices

In my experience, with a FPGA + USB 2.0 PHY and Linux host with a decent driver it is possible to get almost theoretical throughput (minus normal protocol overhead).

In my case, saving the data to a hard drive was the bottleneck, but that was a few years ago when drives were a lot slower.

Reply to
Arlet Ottens

Mikko OH2HVJ skrev 2011-04-03 20:26:

If you are going to connect it to an embedded Linux, why not put the FPGA inside the Linux box, and run a faster interface?

The AT91SAM9M10 has a a dual bus structure, so you can put the FPGA on the secondary bus, and DDR2 on the primary bus and move data using high speed DMA. DDR2 supports 533 MB/s peak so you will be using < 10 % of the bandwidth.

What is the Linux box (or PC) going to do?

Best Regards Ulf Samuelsson

Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

simple

rmance

Actually, he would need both. Parallel to Serial on the device side and Serial to Parallel on the Linux side.

Compression?

Reply to
linnix

The camera has to be small&light with about 1.5m very flexible cable. And we'd like to start the project using a PC and later move to the custom Linux box.

Video compression, simple UI and networking. The first one requiring some DSP power or a codec core.

--
Mikko
Reply to

nux box.

DSP power or

I assume you want more than 640x480, than you might need more than

480M to move the raw data. You might need multiple USB or PCIx.
Reply to
linnix