High speed communication to PC!!

Hi all,

I am working for one of the application,where the input data rate to the unit is 1.6Mbps.It is required to read this data and display it in the normal pc. I am confused how shall I cope up with this high data rate . I thought of using parallel port but I don't think that practically it would give this much data rate.I don't have USB and PCI options. Actually Unit has to sample the data@1.6Mbps in a FPGA(The datain is output of an ADC@100khz) decode it and feed it to the pc and display it. I need to have some high spped means for communication between pc and my FPGA device. Once again I don't have PCI or USB option.

Can anybody please suggest me something

Thanks and best regards

praveen deshpande

Reply to
Praveen Deshpande

Well I hate to burst your bubble but apart from magic your options are very limited. Firewire is one way and this would be on the motherboard or a pci card. You do not specify much but can you not buffer it.

It also sound as if a datalogger could also do it for you but maybe you need to spec it a bit better.

Reply to
martin de lange

Why not impliment an averaging component in the embedded system to essentually slow down the rate rate i.e. 1 point to the computer = an average of x number of ADC samples.

Another problem to your system will be graphing that much data... at some point you are going to have to reduce your data points.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

1.6Mbps = 200,000 bytes per second. The parallel port can do this (done that with RTlinux for my diploma). Ok, had only 375Kpbs, but it was a 486DX100 and I used only 4 controll-lines as input).

Put a little fifo in between, so that you do not get an interrupt for every byte (Atmel/IDT have some nice, 7201 or 7208 I used)

Or: Use the ATA/IDE interface :-)

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)