Help support the new Embedded Systems site on Stack Exchange! Commit to help get it running.

We embedded systems peoples are way outnumbered by Java brogrammers, but we need a Q&A community a la Stack Overflow too! IMO the Stack Exchange sites have the best interface and system going right now.

Sign up and commit to the site to help it reach a critical mass.

Here's the site:

BabaBoHigh

We have a perfect spot right here. Why would we want to change?

Stack Whatever sucks. I've tried it, and I can't stay with it.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

It's great for looking up information already there, but the barriers for entry are too high and the one question I did ask did not get a usable answer.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I tried contributing to the robotic stack exchange for a while. My biggest complaint is that the moderator was really anal retentive about keeping a one-question, one-answer format. So when someone asked the wrong question you couldn't give an answer saying "you asked the wrong question, here's five possible questions that you should have asked".

You _could_ prompt the original questioner to ask "the right question", but opportunities to have meaty discussions were pretty much stomped on.

--
Tim Wescott
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

My impression, as a user looking at google results, was that the questions were so narrow and answers so short that they didn't convey any useful/interesting information.

That's fine if you only want technician-level answers to "which button do I press to turn the widget's edge purple?", but useless if you want engineering-level answers to "what are the relative merits of SFH vs DSSS vs OFDM?". (And nobody should interpret that as implying engineers are "better" in some way than technicians).

It seems your considered judgement backs up my hasty opinion.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Contrary to what the last few constributers said, my experiences are mostly very positive. I contribute regularly to electronics.stackexchange.com, which IMO has a very good signal/noise level. A lot of embedded questions are OK there too, als long as some hardware is involved.

When I ask it is mostly about template stuff in C++, and stackoverflow.com gives good answers, and very quick.

Wouter van Ooijen

Reply to
Wouter van Ooijen

The point is that stackoverflow is about questions, not about discussion. So if you want a question answered, it's perfect. If you want opinions or discussion, your topics will get closed. Plus, it doesn't have threaded discussion because they think they're too complex for today's internet, Usenet being a "relic of the past"[1].

Stefan

--
[1] http://blog.codinghorror.com/web-discussions-flat-by-design/
Reply to

Agreed, and I agree to their decision, and I also like it that there are still places that allow discussions (otherwise I would not be here). So, back to the original post, which was in favour of an embedded stackexchange, not against this usenet list: good idea!

Wouter van Ooijen

Reply to
Wouter van Ooijen

FWIW the Linked-In groups are fairly good. Lots of homework questions though. Reminds me of here.

Scott

Reply to
NotReallyMe

Please don't repost those spammy affiliate links from that site. I edited that one out.

Reply to
Paul Rubin

I must be missing something here. I have no idea what you mean.

Reply to
NotReallyMe

You responded to a spam post where someone advertised a Spamexchange link with a referral code, aka an affiliate link. Affiliate links are a marketing scheme where if you click on one (or buy something through one, or whatever) the affiliate gets paid, which gives them incentive to promote the product being linked to. Such links can be legitimate in some contexts, such as if you use them on your own web site, but the way that one was posted on the newsgroup was rather annoying and spammy.

In your own post, you reposted the spam link. I responded to you requesting that you not repost the spam link if you respond to a spam message. I hope that makes sense to you.

Reply to
Paul Rubin