Good low cost laptop for embedded work?

I'm using LabWindows for my serial stuff and have yet to find one that works flawlessly. I have tried three different types, Prolific, U232-P9 (from purple computing,

and a third noname type.

They all had the problem if I setup the program to for example 9600 baud and wrote several bytes to the comport at a fast sucsession rate it would miss some bytes and in some cases boot the machine.

The only way I found to make it work, was to add a loop in my program to let the bytes be written to the comport at or lower than the baudrate. But that unfortunately means more delay than one would want

And moreover application programs not under my control are not sure to work since they would probably just write to the port in the normal way

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund

PC104 stacks in ruggedized cans are *easier* to shuffle from one bench to another than laptops are.

Reply to
Guy Macon

And they have keboards and displays?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  KARL MALDEN'S NOSE
                                  at               just won an ACADEMY AWARD!!

Mine has a small 640x480 LCD display and a mini-keyboard hooked to it. I can still tuck the whole system under my arm, and it takes less benchtop space than any laptop.

Reply to
Guy Macon

Theoretically ESP magazine owns the rights to that. I need to get off my fat ass and write another article that I can post with a clear conscience.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Hi Ian,

Actually I was just about to settle for a little Dell this morning. Then, just before ordering, I found that it doesn't even have a parallel port. Ouch.

So now I am wondering if an MSP430 tool works via a bidirectional USB-parallel adapter such as the Micro Innovations USB545C. Else we'd have to buy the more expensive USB programming pods. I posted a question on the MSP430 Yahoo forum and to TI support. Let's see.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

The Dell group that handles leased laptops has an eBay store where they sell factory reconditioned Dell laptops. I have bought a couple and they seem quite nice. Not as cheap as you might get a laptop elsewhere but I was comforted by the fact they have been reworked by Dell technicians.

Perhaps you can find a year or two old model that still has parallel and serial ports.

If this link doesn't work just go to eBay and search for "Dell-Financial-Services" and you should eventually end up at their eBay store.

Rob Young (no affiliation with Dell, just satisfied with their products)

Reply to
Rob Young

I've tried some USB-parallel solutions and none of them worked with the FET.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

I don't use one, but I think it's VERY unlikely. The parallel port JTAG programmers work by direct bit- poking; you'll usually find they come with an access- protection- defeating driver such as giveio, Port95 etc.

You can program the MSP430s using the serial port, but tyhe debugger doesn't work that way, you have to revert to old-fashioned LED blinking, strategically-places printf()s etc.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Hi Lewin,

That's sad. It probably is not working for the reasons Paul gave. What puzzles me is that TI still sells their MSP430 trial kits with a parallel-only connection with the far end soldered to the proto board. This means a lot of people with laptops can't use them.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hi Rob,

Thanks. I didn't know that they sell lease returns on EBay. I looked around a bit. Seems like they are mostly close to or past warranty expiration. But it is a bit tedious to find out whether they have a parallel port. When I keyed in the respective service tags it only shows a brief configuration list. With test equipment that's different since I always keep some old HP catalogs ;-)

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

JTAG

etc.

In theory, the USB devices COULD come with a VDD that would fully virtualize the parallel port to the I/O level. In practice, they don't. It may be that a few such devices do come with fully-implemented drivers, but they certainly don't advertise the feature.

Reply to
larwe

JTAG

etc.

In theory, the USB devices COULD come with a VDD that would fully virtualize the parallel port to the I/O level. In practice, they don't. It may be that a few such devices do come with fully-implemented drivers, but they certainly don't advertise the feature.

Reply to
larwe

JTAG

etc.

In theory, the USB devices COULD come with a VDD that would fully virtualize the parallel port to the I/O level. In practice, they don't. It may be that a few such devices do come with fully-implemented drivers, but they certainly don't advertise the feature.

Reply to
larwe

Hi Lewin,

If they do I wonder why they don't advertise. Besides not being able to run a JTAG programmer like the MSP430 FET on a USB to parallel converter there are going to be lots of folks in much more dire straits: Those with the dreaded dongles, especially on legacy software that for whatever reason needs to be kept going. Those folks might some day be frantically looking for used laptops that still have a real parallel port.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg