Getting fit with embedded systems

Hi

I am a post graduate student, who is doing quite some "theoretic" work at the moment. So in some way I also wanna collect some practical experience for the embedded system domain. I have done some programming with pic and nec microprocessors and I wanna get more experience in this field. So I was thinking of AVR or ARM processors to program. Are there any "simulation" tools out there that I could use for learning purposes? And anyone an idea whats the best way to get an deeper insight in this topic for example what kind of projects I could do that have a good learning effect?

Many thanks, Peter

Reply to
Peter Glar

IMO, the best simulation tools are the real thing. Get any one of the low cost ARM eval/dev boards from Keil which include a worthy but limited IDE. Usually one picks a simulation tool when the hardware is absent but that excuse is negated with the large bounty of ARM eval/dev boards available.

I have much less experience with AVR but I'm nearly certain you can easily obtain eval boards and dev SW as readily as ARM.

JJS

Reply to
John Speth

Thanks for your feedback John. COuld you maybe recommend some good readings that cover that topic in more details? I know there is google but mostly I find here introduction books. I wanna have some "advanced" stuff in this field.

Anyone with some good recommendations?

Cheers Peter

Reply to
Peter Glar

Or look at Luminary Micro -- they have some pretty impressive features on their $50 board.

You should also choose a project to work toward, if you can. A mini sumo robot, a fish-tank thermal control, whatever, just something real. This should motivate you, and give you something to bring along to interviews

-- nothing says "I really build stuff" quicker than pulling something that you built out of your briefcase.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

The embedded world is so broad it's hard to pick something representative. What gizmo do you lack that you wish you had? I do a lot of closed-loop control, so the projects that I would recommend are things like an inverted pendulum (fun, but the mechanicals are difficult to whip up from scratch), propeller-on-a-stick (can be done with a potentiometer, a broken toy airplane and a yardstick), a heater controller (mechanically easy, theoretically interesting at quite deep levels, but visually it's dead boring), a motor speed control (interesting if you have a strobe light, but the interest fades quickly unless you're retrofitting a turntable) or other dirt-under-the- fingernails kinds of projects.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

Luminary is a small outfit. If interested in the Cortex ARM then SGS has parts now.

AVR is excellent path. Purchase the STK500/600 eval board for $80. Then download the WINAVR package from

and you have a full blown GCC C compiler with IDE for free. I've used this combo and its alot of band for your buck (no bucks!).

Reply to
Moon Shine

I am a high school student, who is doing quite some "theoretic" work with women at the moment. I want to collect some practical experience about sex. Are there any simulation tools that I could use for the learning purposes?

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Moon Shine

The AVR Butterfly board is also quite nice for playing around, and it is dirt cheap. The only additional piece of hardware you need is an RS connector that you solder on the board, and a serial port in your computer. Sadly the latter is becoming rare in new computers.

--
Pertti
Reply to

Just don't do it in Boston's Logan airport. They're suspicious of LEDs and things with wires ;).

--
	mac the naïf
Reply to

Pick your project first, then the hardware. The skill is implementing something functional not on how big a chip you can use.

Reply to
cbarn24050

You can a very nice dev kit from raisonance for the ST Cortex Chips. It comes with arm-elf-gcc with an IDE which includes a JTAG debugger with a limit of 32K. It is available for $49 from digikey. Look at

for details.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

There are crude* simulation tools, but frankly, if you haven't found them by now perhaps you're not destined for that fate?

  • boy, _that_ can be interpreted on more than one level!
--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

A wiggler or a byteblaster would probably help.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

PG asked about 'simulation tools' not 'tool stimulation'.

--
John B
Reply to

"Peter Glar" skrev i meddelandet news:func1n$tar$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org...

AVR Studio contains a simulator for the AVR, which will simulate both the core and most peripherals.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson