FORTH on the HP-75C

Here is another one. I have an HP-75C and heard that HP had an unsupported FORTH for this machine. Anyone know about this? Thanks.

Reply to
Ken

Yet another one. I have this Atari Portfolio, bought when it had become surplus. This thingy has all the features of a good palmtop, that you can't buy anywhere: Standard AA cells, so you can use rechargable batteries. Over a full day of battery life. Non-back light, visible in direct sunlight Reasonable keyboard in querty layout. Sturdy as hell.

The only palmtop I know off that could serve a whole day on the beach, and survives.

Now it is extremely closed, and limited (128 kbyte for data). Has anyone succeeded in getting a Forth onto it?

I would love to replace the innards with a 1 Mbyte RAM

1 Gbyte flash system. Does anyone even have a hint how to even open the case?

Groetjes Albert

albert@spenarnc.xs4all.nl http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst
Reply to
Albert van der Horst

Well, except for the keyboard, the Palm IIIx or Handspring Visor (both of which I own) meet all of those criteria. The Palm IIIx battery life was a few months with normal use and it has a very nice Forth (Quartus) which I used for many happy hours, sitting on the beach. Unfortunately, everything seems to be moving away from long battery life and toward flashy graphics (which I don't need) and MP3 playback (which I also don't need).

Ed

Reply to
Ed Beroset

Hello Albert,

yes, I run forth on the Atari Portfolio. There are several Forth systems that run, I can assemble and send you my collection of PoFo Programming languages if you like.

I have a PoFo Upgraded to 512 KB -->

PL1 Language is interesting -->
Min4TH can run on an unmodified PoFo -->

Ciao

Carsten

Reply to
Carsten Strotmann

Sure. There's both a Mini Forth and UniForth for the Atari Portfolio:

Basically, the Atari Portfolio is a MS-DOS PC, so it should be possible to port any DOS 8086 Forth to it.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/

Here is my list of Forth Systems that run on an unmodified Atari Portfolio:

  • FIG Forth 8086-1A
  • FIG Forth 8088-1B
  • DX-FORTH -
  • hForth86 -
  • UniForth -
  • GNU Forth 5.0 8086 Target
  • VolksForth - volks4th.arc

Not tested:

  • eForth
  • zenForth

I send you a package with my PoFo Forth Directory.

I would be interested to work on a Forth Version, maybe based on VolksForth, with special support for the Atari Portolio Machines (Tiny Screen Editor, Graphics, Special BIOS calls ...)

Ciao

Carsten Strotmann

Reply to
Carsten Strotmann