Finding power - gnd shorts

Sounds ideal - Forget the diode, and find a variac :)

If the AC is under 500mV pk, it is unlikely to damage anything and if your 5mV/1A number was right, 500mV will be reached at ~100A - something should happen before you wind up that far ;)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

That's another good idea! - just a nudge (or two ;) up the technology scale from the milli-volt voltage gradient probing method I described earlier!

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

You are right, that is why handling this type of problem is a TWO step process. First, use mV voltage gradient probing to locate the short, and get an idea of the milli-ohms involved, then you MOVE the current injection points, very close to the short, to make sure that the short IS what will blow, when you ramp the current higher.

This assumes you do have a 'blowable' short, and not a missing annular ring or larger area short....

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

It wouldn't easily identify the physical location of the short, though it might help narrow it down. In my case, a $150 used current tracer (HP 547A) and a $150 used signal generator (HP 8654A) worked great when I last had to solve this kind of problem. It led me right to a solder bridge under a closed frame DIP socket. $300 in used tools can help a lot more than a new $50K tool, if the $50K tool doesn't happen to be the right one for the job. On the other hand, it would certainly be nice to have a high-performance TDR at hand when I need one. I've always had to make do with the signal generator and an oscilliscope.

I'd like to replace the 8654A with an Agilent 33220A, but I can't really justify the expense. I haven't quite figured out why test equipment resellers are charging more a used 33120A than Agilent charges for a brand new 33220A.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Smith

I wouldn't assume that. At a surplus store I once saw a barrel full of very expensive populated multilayer boards. The boards all had very nasty burn marks where someone had tried the trick and failed.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

... snip ...

When I moved into this condo 2 years ago I worried over having electric heat. However the unit turns out to be very well insulated, and it doesn't require summer air conditioning. Even here, in an expensive electricity area, my averaged electric bill is $76 per month (US dollars). That's year round. Ambient temperatures range from about 90 to -15 (Fahrenheit, which is about

35 to -30 C). Somebody else shovels, mows, fixes, etc. And the heating price hasn't risen this year!!!

I have no incandescent bulbs in the unit, which helps. All compact fluoroscent. When the computer is idle it shuts down the display, which also helps. Someday I may get an LCD display.

The only real worry is long-term power failures in the winter. The first year one lasted about 3 days.

 [page]:
            Try the download section.
Reply to
CBFalconer

Actually Variacs are transformers, and can supply lots of current. If you can find an old filament winding transformer (About 6.3 V at

2A) its output is strictly limited by the number of maggots that can run around in its core. The number will be considerably larger than 2A, but strictly limited. Of course, such an overload will destroy the transformer in a short time, but that period is long compared to the desired testing interval. For less current, find a smaller transformer.
 [page]:
            Try the download section.
Reply to
CBFalconer

The subject is finding the short, not fixing the short. ;)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Did I do an INCORRECT
                                  at               THING??

Radon can be a problem in houses built on sand that has been recently (e.g. during the Ice Age) split from some uranium rich stones, such as granite.

Instead of ventilating the whole house, just make 2-3 vertical holes under the house and install an air pumps sucking the air and radon out of these wells and blow it outside the house. The slight under-pressure in the wells will such the air from the surrounding sand and thus prevents the radon from entering the house through the floor.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

Rick alredy has a transformer (1VAC), so variac is to allow some simple control on the output voltage, whilst keeping a nice low impedance. A nice low-tech solution, but still with control.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

LOL, try entering such a discussion on the radsafe mailing list. Or just look at the archives over the last say 10 years and be overwhelmed... :-). There are two camps: one says radon can cause lung cancer, the other says it prevents it actually... (hormesis being assumed to be the cause for that). These are the extremes, of course, and even those propagating them like the rest state that it is really hard to gauge the effect of radon on lung cancer incidents as smoking outweighs it by far and defacto masks the result of any study done (two major ones I know of). Or if it does not mask them it makes them a lot less convincing (I am not that deep into that).

Didi