emulator for 80c51fa?

I need to find an emulator or some other way to support an old 80c51fa product. I already have an assembler (an old Avocet ava51.exe) that works ok. I need a way to step through this code and see the source code and symbols. What is the best way to do this? The program is written only in assembly language.

thanks, Walter

Reply to
Walter Singer

Hi, the old 8051 is quite easy to trace, just hookup a logic analzser to the memory busses. If you haven't got 1 look on ebay you can allways find old cheap ones for sale.

Reply to
CBarn24050

In article , Walter Singer writes

Are you local or somewhere overseas like the USA? :-) This is a global NG

There are plenty of 8051 ICE about... I wouldn't bother with a logic analyser they don't usually have all the symbol information.

It depends on the output of your assembler. what format is the debug information? OMF?

Once you know what the format of the debug info is then you will know which ICE support it.

Regards Chris

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

I used to use MicroC51 which included an assembler, C compiler and mixed mode simulator all for about $99. It allowed you to support pretty much any '51 variant by filling out special function register tables and such. Depending on how sophisticated your emulation needs to be, sometimes a software ICE will suffICE.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

A "software ice" is a simulator. /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org