ECC question

Hi everyone, I have a question about ECC codes. Quite often in documentation of NAND Flash we can something like that : "Under typical use conditions, utilize a minimum of 1-bit ECC per 528 bytes of data."

I don't want to sound stupid but does it mean I must use an ECC that can detect AND correct 1-bit errors or it simply mean that can I use a stupid 1-bit parity check over the 528 bytes of data in the page?

In another data sheet : Minimum required ECC 4-bit ECC per 539 bytes of data. Assuming it means an ECC that can detect AND correct 4-bit errors, does anyone know what algorithm(s) to use?

Best regards

Reply to
Benjamin Couillard

That would leave you with the information that somewhere within those

528 bytes is one bad bit. But what can you do if you don't know where it is? So of course you have to be able to correct the bad bit.

Reed Solomon.

Stefan

Reply to
Stefan Reuther

ECC means Error Correcting Code. Typically NAND uses 22 bits of ECC per

256 bytes of data, and is capable of correcting 1 bit errors.

Here's a short introduction.

I'm not familiar with those.

Reply to
Arlet Ottens