Display Technology for Portable Apps

I have seen the "electronic ink" displays on the Kindle and it looks pretty good. I have read that they are still improving it and may even come out with a color version at some point. The main feature of the display is the low power consumption which is proportional to the update rate. The refresh speed is pretty slow so it is ideal for page emulation. Is this one of the things they will be working on? Does anyone know of competing display technologies that are due to hit the market anytime soon?

I'm looking at something very low power for a moving map application which would not have to update at video rates, but maybe 4 times a second.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Its great - extremely high contrast (better than newsprint) and wide viewing angle.

The color version, from what I've read, is a ways out, and will have much lower contrast.

Right down to zero updates require zero power.

Its not just the refresh rate that's problematic. Updating the screen "flashes" the entire screen and its visually very annoying. Perfectly OK for ebooks, but absolutely no good for a moving map.

PixelQi claims they will, but no specifics seem to be available.

Hope that helps ! Best Regards, Dave

Reply to
Dave Nadler