computer-driven fans II

These devices are called SMD:

For prototyping or hobby it is possible to mount them as dead bugs:

Then you can solder the wires more easily.

But sounds like you don't know very much about electronics. Maybe you should buy a small microcontroller evaluation kit and start with some basics, like blinking LEDs. You can reuse the kit later for your fan controller. And if you are not a programmer, maybe you should use something more simple than an AVR, like this one:

Otherwise you'll need some years until you know all the basics to implement some C program on a microcontroller, develop a RS485 bus protocol and the rest of the hardware.

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

You're right, and maybe I should have softened it. However your 'cockroach' characterization couldn't be missed. Many thing can sense temperature, including mercury thermometers, bimettallic junctions, diode drops, your fingers, crickets, etc. etc. In fact, almost anything. Even Texans.

 [page]:
            Try the download section.
Reply to
CBFalconer

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:53:25 -0400, Rich Webb posted:

?name=568-2051-1-ND

?name=497-2080-1-ND

I think I want 2 sensors near the woodburner. I can put one in the chimney I constructed where temps would presumably be near 2000 degrees. This would inform the "woodburner is burning" event. Another would measure the air temperature near it. This won't eclipse 85 degrees if the fan is doing its job.

Would any of the above sensors be better if it were mounted in the metal trim that goes around the stovepipe as it penetrates my living room ceiling? It would be hot to the touch but not so hot as to violate building codes as far temps near combustibles. (Everything I've installed or bought--the stove itself-- is E.P.A. and local building codes approved.)

I have an unnuanced idea of say, how a thermistor would operate. How would you know which part of the wire is changing in its resistance?

Thanks, Rich. There are so many options that it makes it more difficult to close in on the very vanilla solution that I'm looking for.

I'll go with digikey. I tried their chat service and am apprised that I can call 1 800 DIGIKEY to talk with someone who will help me design this (during business hrs).

When I get a parts list, I'll broach the topic again, with a more realistic appraisal of the complexity.

--
When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that
the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 08:02:45 +1000, Mark L Pappin posted:

Mark,

Thanks for the heads-up to bring this little project to comp.arch.embedded.

My sysadmin buddy is bringing over a solder kit tomorrow along with a book he recommends.

Bill Cunningham might be a nice guy, but I don't think he's ever gonna learn C. I skim your tutorials. Maybe you could herd them together and have a book idea to peddle to a publisher. _My Life with Bill: a Compendium of usenet C_

--
Unquestionably, there is progress. The average American now pays out twice
as much in taxes as he formerly got in wages. 1

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 09:52:24 -0700, Mike H posted:

Those were some of the first cartoons I saw, pre second grade.

I always remember the cartoons I was watching in second grade, because they were routinely interupted by those boring people with their Watergate hearings.

My favorites were always Looney Tunes, which I watched religiously on staurday morning on one of the available 4 channels. My girlfriend brought over Looney tunes from her Netflix the other night, and I can assure you that they are as classic as ever. Chuck Jones is a genius.

As I was weatherproofing the chimney from the monsoon rains, I went out on my lawn with rubber gloves and roof cement in my hands. Fifteen feet away was a bird I hadn't seen before. The ladies passing me on the sidewalk assured me that it was a road runner.

As I finished my task, it crossed the road, a large yellow object in its beak.

--
We must be willing to pay a price for freedom. 4
H. L. Mencken

Bearing in mind that there is rarely exactly one solution to a real world problem:

The high-temp monitor sounds like a job for a type K thermocouple married to something like an Analog Devices AD597. That handles much of the dirty work and can also be configured to provide an "on/off" signal which could be pretty easily interfaced to a microcontroller.

That could be a bog-standard thermistor hooked up in a voltage divider network to a microcontroller's A/D port.

Probably not, since there would presumably be a considerable time lag.

For a thermistor, it's not the wire (although the wires will exhibit a small but negligible resistance change) but the magic stuff inside the epoxy or glass bead. For a thermocouple, the signal is the voltage generated by the thermal gradient along the wires; using different metals for the two wires results in a difference in the voltage gradient and a measurable voltage difference.

Sounds like an excellent learning experience! ;-)

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 22:11:41 -0400, CBFalconer posted:

The acronym I learned last night was DIP: dual in-line package. That's for these devices with cockroach symmetry.

--
We must be willing to pay a price for freedom. 4
H. L. Mencken
Reply to
Ron Ford

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 04:00:15 +0200, Frank Buss posted:

I bookmarked this page (Es ist ja einfacher, englisch zu reden.) It seems like it has a lot of stuff for starters. I've got quite a few items in my "to buy" list for this project. Yeah for my rebate check. It improves computer science for the hobbyist so much to have a proper budget for it.