Cheap, small quad UART needed

Both parts you recommended, I suppose. The "maybe a 32 pin TQFP" is

7x7 mm, isn't it?

You need to ask Mendert this question, though. I was just remembering his comment.

In 100's. I think your proposition is fine, except you didn't point out clearly where it deviated and where I'm sure you already knew it. With the caveat of size and qty included, I wouldn't have said anything at all.

I've read Meindert's posts and I know he knows a lot about what he's doing. So I tend to take his boundary criteria with a fair degree of seriousness, as a starting point anyway.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

The actual package yes, but the pad ring is 9 x 9 mm in both cases. Admittedly, the layout of the 32 pin TQFP is more tight, since you cannot have vias under a QFN package.

--
Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson

"-jg" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@e1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

And still an AT91SAM7S161 in a 9 x 9 mm seems superior.

3 UARTs + H/W Support for full duplex UART, all w DMA support and SPI in a 9 x 9 mm package.
--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

Thank you all for your comments.

My ideal solution would still be a small FPGA but as mentioned, there aren't any with sufficent cells for 4 uarts without having 100+ pins. So I'll go for the small micro solution. The only drawback of that is that I need an ISP facility (connector or pads) for every micro. It would have been nice if Atmel has made the ISP system daisy-chainable.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

We have mentioned the same thing to them :) - but you can share some of the pins, to reduce the total pin cost, and you can also ISP the newest AT89LPxx series, over the 2 wire OCD, as an alternative.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

My latest board has five ISP chips. Most of the lines can be connected together; I only needed separate lines from the main cpu for each reset, and a mux for the Tx lines. So, they all got the programming data, but only one was paying attention.

Reply to
DJ Delorie