cheap embedded box?

Hello, friends! I'm searching for some cheapest SBC to run a web and sql servers in my home local network. It should perform a query to 100,000-records phone directory. I do not think that the whole PC is a suitable solution - I want it to be silent and power-efficient.

At the same time, I don't want it to execute the query for 5 minutes - it should be fast enough.

USB ports to host a printer or a web-cam is a plus. What's the best choice?

The most of products I saw were rather expensive and had extra features I actually did not need...

Reply to
redkaa

I have installed a standard Debian installation on my LinkStation:

You can get the device with 500 GB harddisk for about 140 Euro, which is cheaper than some less powerful special embedded systems. It has a USB port, which can be used for printers and webcams (if supported by Linux).

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

Thanks for the hint. Is there anything discless? May be a router will do? Some WRT-based device? From linksys or may be even buffalo? (Although it seems, it's quite uneasy finding this stuff here, in Russia)

Reply to
redkaa

The LinkSys system has a small internal flash. Maybe you can boot the main system from an USB memory stick and sell the harddisk inside :-)

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss