Cell Phone Sniffing Dogs

This caught my eye:

My question is what exactly a dog can smell. Is it the plastic, the battery, something from the circuit boards, etc.?

I'd be curious why this is effective.

The Lizard

Reply to
Jujitsu Lizard

They also use dogs for sniffing out pirated DVDs (or rather I should say smuggled DVDs - the dogs don't care about the license status).

This particular example works because it's acceptable to have a high false positive rate. The dogs sniff for /electronic devices/ not cellphones per se. For example I would expect a false positive on, say, a PDA.

Reply to
larwe