CAN terminating resistors

Hi, I am trying to understand the significance of 120 ohm resistors at each node of CAN network.

From what I could find out, the resistor is used to impedence match the

CAN chip with the bus.In that case, supposing I have just two nodes on the network, Will I not end up hitting a 60 ohm ( 120 parallel 120) with my signals instead of 120? I know I could have got some basics wrong here but an explaination or a pointer to some info would greatly help..

Thanks, Vishal.

Reply to
vishalnospam

There is none --- because you're not supposed have one at each node. You need them at the ends of the bus.

No. It's to impedance match the CAN bus cable with its end, to avoid reflections. That's elementary wave mechanics, a.k.a. transmission line theory (electronics 201 or so).

Do everybody including yourself a favour: get a textbook on CAN, and work through it before you continue on this mission.

has recommendations.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

Reply to
vishalnospam