C18 basic question

Unfortunately, C18 *does* tout itself as ANSI C compliant. You have to read the "ISO Divergences" chapter to learn that integer promotions are disabled by default.

--
John W. Temples, III
Reply to

If you saw the code that C18 generates with integer promotions enabled, you might guess why it's not the default. It's not that integer promotions require a lot of extra code on a PIC18; Hi-Tech's compiler with integer promotions enabled generates better code than C18 does with them disabled.

--
John W. Temples, III
Reply to

I was kind of disappointed when the open-source small processor C compiler initiative stalled (SPCC? SBCC?)

But hey: if there's no one to work on it, that says something about it's viability.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

That would be SDCC, and the latest snapshot was released two weeks ago. I don't know how much has changed since the last stable release about a year ago, so I can't comment on whether development has stalled or not. I've also never used it, so can't comment on its quality either.

As a general point, however, small CISC 8-bit micros are getting steadily less popular for new projects. So anyone interested in working on open source compilers is more likely to look at gcc or lvm - they are much more active projects. It's nice that SDCC is still around, and still being developed and improved, however.

Reply to
David Brown

Thats an interesting read Jon, Thanks. I also started out playing with the

16C55 windowed EPROM devices. Only I didnt progress past assembler until very recently. My crash & burn software development took quite a while waiting for the UV eraser to do its thing.

Cheers.

Reply to
Dennis

Thanks Tim.

Reply to
Dennis

SDCC.

And it's useless for PICs, in part because someone decided that strict ANSI/ISO conformance would be a good idea, even to the extent of having a common pointer type for both RAM and flash, so it isn't compatible with any of Microchip's libraries.

Reply to
Nobody