C help please - C newbie

That was my point.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
removebalmerconsultingthis@att.net
Reply to
Alan Balmer

Well I ended up taking to hardware route I mainly design PCBs these days.

I think using C on a day to day basic would have driven me nuts.

I'm sure your right about the best and worst software.

I would like to have a play with higher level languages again though so if have any suggestions.

I also work with some programmable logic which gives me the option to write the code in a C type language or I can draw a schematic and then convert that into code for the device. As you can probably guess I prefer the schematic method.

Is there any software analogy to this, i.e. text or graphical input.

Reply to
Paul

I don't suppose you use ruby tape and mylar these days, eh?

Python:

Sort of. But the graphical stuff never seems to get very far, since it usually has to be problem-domain-specific. I did a MS project where you draw ladder diagrams and they get converted into source code (C, asm, whatever). Initially, I did the ladder diagrams using the old Daisy CAD system and ran the net-lists through my SW. Later I wrote a diagram editor to go along with it. If you're really interested, the paper is here:

and the source code is here: ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/grante/stuff/led.tar.gz

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  - if it GLISTENS,
                                  at               gobble it!!

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Ken Asbury) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

First edition K&R is circa 1978, second edition 1988. Making them about 25 and 15 years old, respectively.

--
Richard
Reply to

That sounds very interesting I'll download the pdf.

Sometimes I wish I still did route by hand instead of thinking up ways to trick powerpcb into letting me do things it thinks are wrong! I would miss my autorouter though.

Thanks for python link as well.

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

In article , Hans-Bernhard Broeker writes

apparently the Tasking Tricore Compiler *claims* C99 compliance but it is the only one I know of..

My thoughts about K&R I have both K&R and H&S /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

I don't know what qualifies as "widely used", but Greg Comeau's compiler claims C99 compliance.

Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
removebalmerconsultingthis@att.net
Reply to
Alan Balmer

Not at all. I'm simply reporting the results of many threads where beginners have asked for book recommendations. Check the archives for yourself. It was you who said "we", as if you spoke for everyone. Or was that the "royal we"?

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
removebalmerconsultingthis@att.net
Reply to
Alan Balmer

Then you can't read very well. K&R is obviously a tutorial. Whether it is an appropriate tutorial for someone who has no programming experience is another matter.

Reply to
Sheldon Simms

I see, and he hadn't bothered doing any programming in the intervening time? And was so incompetent as to think that printf works without at least a properly set up serial port? Sounds like you need a better class of project managers.

Reply to
Sheldon Simms

So just how do you set up printf to print to a port on a Solaris based machine? His experience was mainly UNIX. He was there for project managing not writing code.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

In article , Alan Balmer writes

OK, "I" and the half dozen others who I asked about this during the week at a conference.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

Dunno, but I've used a small printf to print to a serial port on an embedded microcontroller.

You are blaming K&R for a problem that was caused by the incompetence of your "project manager".

Reply to
Sheldon Simms

That's a mistake. Project managers (and lower level managers in general) should be competent in their area, and actually have to do the same work as the people who report to them, not just sit back and pull strings. If they're too incompetent, they should be promoted to where they can do no harm.

--
Darin Johnson
    Where am I?  In the village...  What do you want?  Information...

That's fine in theory but not in practice. What competences would you expect the project manager of a printer development to posses?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell