Atmel JTAG MKII - Difference between HW Rev A and B (PDI Programming)

Hi.

The programming interface changed from ISP to PDI on XMega controllers. The JTAG MKII can program and debug the XMegas via PDI with a software update, but only the newer hardware revisions seem to have the required hardware support.

I'm not very happy to discard my current hardware and spend 300¤ for another one. So my question is: What are the hardware differences between the older (non-PDI) and the newer (PDI-enabled) revisions?

My guess is that pin 9 (TDI), which is used as PDI_DATA, is input only in the older revisions and bidirectional in the newer ones. So a new driver should do the trick.

SMD rework tools are available.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Frank-Christian Krügel
Reply to
Frank-Christian Krügel

Frank-Christian Krügel skrev:

My guess is that it is a complete new board for the updated ICE. IIRC, The old H/W did not have enough performance to handle PDI.

I think everything produced after Aug 2006 has the new board.

You can check if you have a new ICE, but counting the LEDs. The old one has three, and the new one has a fourth, which is inside the plastic.

You can still program & debug, using the JTAG interface.

BR Ulf Samuelsson

Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson