Any Interest in a newsgroup specifically for Motorola PowerPC?

All,

Just wondering if there was enough interest in the Motorola PowerPC chips to set up a separate newsgroup?

I am assuming that there isn't one already, because I haven't seen a PowerPC group on the two servers that I use.

If there is enough interest (based on replies), I'll go through the exercise of trying to get one created.

Thanks, Paul Helmuth HP/SS Automotive

Reply to
Paul Helmuth

Don't bother. Just post about embedded PowerPC stuff in comp.arch.embedded and see what happens.

Creating officially sanctioned Usenet groups is time consuming and annoying. Discussion phases, voting phases, etc. These sorts of hoops were justified when Usenet was more popular, and a general group had so much daily traffic that it made sense to create specialized children.

Usenet is a lot less vibrant and useful than it used to be. If you need a special purpose group, let Yahoo! host it for you. If you find the Yahoo! terms and conditions prohibitive, host a web forum on your own hardware.

My two cents, Kelly

Reply to
Kelly Hall

"Paul Helmuth" skrev i meddelandet news:Ndjid.2331$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...

PowerPC

exercise

What is wrong with "comp.sys.powerpc.*" ?

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com

Try comp.sys.powerpc.tech

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sinclair

there is one comp.sys.powerpc.tech or via google at

HG

Look at group comp.sys.powerpc.tech, it's there.

- Thierry Moreau

Reply to
Thierry Moreau

Hi Kelly,

Why do you think that this is happening? I am pretty new to usenet but I find it a great community where top notch tech stuff is being discussed. Could it be that younger engineers simply don't know about it?

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Well, I find it less vibrant and less useful than I once did. I can't state conclusively whether this is because I'm older and crustier or if Usenet sucks more.

Many of the products/packages I use are well-supported via mailing lists, vendor-hosted web forums, and 3rd-party (Yahoo!) hosted web forums. Add in the various RSS-based forums I read, and there's not a lot of need for me to keep reading Usenet other than old habits.

That's not to say that I don't appreciate the charms of Usenet - I find most web forums bland, visually noisy, and the GUIs mostly suck. A good newsreader is a wonderful tool.

Kelly

Reply to
Kelly Hall

Reply to
Rusty Wright

Hi Kelly,

I haven't tried Yahoo yet because I didn't like their sign-up process but as for vendor forums and other fancy interfaces I have yet to see anything that is as efficient as Usenet.

Indeed it is. Many 'modern' forums are outright useless. Over-sophisticated and way too slow.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hi Rusty,

That is also my impression. Some people don't know what Usenet is, others think it is a remnant of the hippie era.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Reply to
Rusty Wright
[...]

you can subscribe top most Yahoo! groups via mail without a Yahoo! ID (IOW sign-up), just like any other "standard" mailing list.

Only to access the file areas etc. of most Yahoo! groups, you need an ID. A bit complicated, but no real problem, although I (suspicious/paranoid) use a specific mail address for it.

A mailing list is IMHO nearly as efficient as a newsgroup.

Oliver

--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen (oliverbetz.de)
Reply to