Wiring Batteries Together

If I wire three 12 volt batteries together in series to get a 36 volt pack and they are all rated at 10 Ah each, then what is the Ah rating of the pack? I think it's 10, but I'd like some confirmation.

Reply to
frew

Well, in general the current in a series circuit is constant. But you are not talking about a current flow you are talking about a current AH rating. Lets say this, if the batteries are of the same chemistry and in equal condition you can approximate what you say otherwise all bets are off. IE 10AH NiCad with 10AH lead acid or what ever would not yield any valid predictionsions on the face.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

"frew"

** Yep - batteries made from similar cells have the same Ah rating as each cell. This strikes some as odd because they mentally connect Ah rating with energy capacity - which is wrong.

The energy capacity of cells and battery packs is rarely ever quoted, but is given by a watt-hour figure.

The other fact that confounds many is that both the energy capacity and Ah figure vary with the discharge rate.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yes the combination of your 3 batteries is 10 Ampere hr. at 36 volts.

That's 360 watt hours (Amps times volts).

BTW another way to confirm this in one's mind is this.

Each of your 12 volt batteries is actually 6 cells. Connected in series.

Each (assuming lead acid batt.) cell has a nominal voltage of 2 volts.

Your 3 12 volt batteries, connected as described, become 18 cells, all connected in series. Total 36 volts.

Each cell can store enough energy to provided 10 Amp.Hr. (Defined as a certain number of amps at a defined temperature. for a defined period of time). For example;

1 amp for 10 hours =3D 10 Ahr. Or, 2 amps for 5 hours Or, 5 amps for 2 hours Or 10 amps for 1 hour. Note 1 Or 20 amps for 0.5 hour. Note 1

Note 1: Naturally at higher discharge rates the batteries not only run down that much quicker they may well have less 'usable' capacity. I might be possible for example to consider taking 50 amps for only one fifth of hour (12 minutes!). But in fact one might be lucky to get just a few minutes at waht is for a 10 Ahr battery, a very high rate of discharge. But you're probably already familiar with this.

Reply to
stan

Yes. :-)

Cheers! Rich