Which material has high enough ohmage to resist lightning?

I have already eaten it.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Unless the electrodes are made of Mexican cobalt. ;-)

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Damn! It was for the rats, so they would follow Radium into the hole.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

heat the negatively charged end and it has a relatively low resistance. (see thermionic tube)

when cold untill you get the voltage high enouh to extend the electron orbitals across the gap or to strip ions off one electrode it's an insulator.

typically some sort of glass, a cheap, relatively good, insulator, only problem is how brittle it is.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Ummm...which is the "negatively charged end" of a vacuum?

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

Interesting, how some materials lose resistance when cooled while others lose resistance when heated.

What is the breakdown voltage of the glass?

Reply to
Radium

Breakdown voltage for air is about 75 kvolts per inch. For glass, it could be as high as 3,000 kv per inch. But this becomes irrelevant. Question was about voltages found in lightning. Other factors change those numbers. Three miles of air - a best insulator - could not stop lightning. We don't even try. We solve the problem by diverting - shunting. Diversion means that voltage does not exist. Dominant factor in lightning is not its voltage. Lightning is a current source

- an electrical concept necessary to better understand the problem.

Furthermore, you are asking about resistance - DC electricity. Lightning is an AC source. Therefore ask about both resistance AND reactance.

To better answer your question, provide what it is you are trying to understand. Your question about insulating from voltages such as lightning assumes lightning can be stopped - when even three miles of air could not insulate sufficiently.

Reply to
w_tom

--
Yes, That\'s called the temperature coefficient of resistance of the
material in question.

Some sources describe lightning as being neither AC nor DC but *much* closer to DC than AC. Others state that lightning is AC. Who should I beleive?

Reply to
Radium

Preferably infinite. LOL

Reply to
Radium

It's DC but it's an impulse.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

True. AFAIK, a smooth sine-wave current [DC or AC] can only be produced artificially. Of course I could be wrong.

Reply to
Radium

Think of a freight train hitting a cement wall. It mostly goes in one direction but there's a lot more going on.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

--
Well, then, you don\'t want to use glass, you want to use petrollium.
Reply to

Good idea. I remember reading about a small (relatively speaking) Tesla coil that was supposed to be able to produce a few million volts. It was in a large horizontal oil bath.

One of the benefits of oil - gets in all the tight spaces and prevents corona which leads to insulation failure and lowers breakdown voltage.

Radium needs to build a few Tesla coils for an appreciation of insulators.

default

the end with the negative charge attached.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

--
Pe troll ium  ;)
Reply to

A basic engineering and a basic mathematical concept: an impulse is a sum of AC waveforms at many frequencies. The shorter that impulse, then the more AC frequencies are in that impulse.

The term DC impulse is a contradiction or oxymoron. Either it is an impulse - a sum of many frequencies - or it is DC.

For example, to determine the frequency response of a circuit, we apply an ideal impulse. That ideal impulse applies every frequency to the circuit. Circuit output is then captured to learn how well each frequency transverses the circuit.

Many AC frequencies > Homer J Simps>> It's DC but it's an impulse.

Reply to
w_tom

AC -- by definition -- requires that the current reverse its flow.

A changing voltage isn't necessarily AC. Its only AC if the current changes direction. Otherwise its still DC.

A DC impulse is a impulse that -- for a relatively short duration -- increases its strength of flow toward one direction and then stops, without reversing its flow.

An AC impulse does similar but instead of stopping, it will increase its strength of flow in the opposite direction and then stop at zero volts.

Reply to
Radium

--
No.