What's changed in CRT display in the last decade?

I know things are ALWAYS changing for the computer itself, but I figure television /CRT technology is pretty much matured.

You can get a 19" CRT for $200 today that has a completely flat tube. I remember high end 17" CRT PC monitors were over $1,000 in 1995. What was so different back then?

Reply to
~Dude17~

The advent of flat panel displays is putting price pressure on the CRT's.

Reply to
Gene

mass production , strong competition & price "wars"?

--
                          Regards,  SPAJKY ®
   &  visit my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com

Far more integration than before; digital control/generation of waveforms (such as the geometry, focus, and convergence correction; a LOT more use of the plastic case parts as structural supports as opposed to a metal frame to which the case AND PC assemblies were attached; much less labor (esp. through automated adjustment processes), and what there is is in lower-cost regions (i.e., assembly in mainland China or Malaysia rather than Japan or Korea); and lower-cost components (and, thanks again to the increased integration, fewer of them).

If you can find monitors from, say, 1980 and 1990, and open them up alongside a current product, you'll see the differences very clearly. However, don't expect the trend to continue - there's very, very little in the way of further development of CRT monitor design or production processes going on any more.

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers