What is PLL "charge pump gain"?

Hi All,

Is a PLL charge pump circuit's specification of 'charge pump gain' simply the maximum current that the charge pump itself can source or sink, or is it something else entirely? (I've looked all over for a clear -- and simple --explanation, but could find none!).

Thanks,

-Bill

Reply to
billcalley

The charge pump is a constant current source/sink controlled by the phase detector. The output, which is either +icp, -icp or zero, is a pulse-width-modulated signal, the width of which is proportional to phase error. Gain is normally expressed in milliamps per radian e.g. kpd = icp/(2*pi). So, if we had a permanent +pi phase error, the charge pump would output PWM with 50% duty cycle, and the average output would be icp/2.

Reply to
Andrew Holme

Wow Andrew, that is the best answer I have ever gotten on any subject. Concise and very informative! Thank you very much!!

Best Regards,

-Bill

Reply to
billcalley

Minor point: the PD will go from 0 to +-icp in pi radians, and so the

50% duty cycle happens at a phase error of pi/2 (one quarter cycle).

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It depends on the type of phase detector. For the classic PFD made from two D-type flip-flops and a NAND gate, gain is icp/(2*pi) as I stated in my previous post.

Reply to
Andrew Holme

I understand that--I've used both. It's just that your post appeared to be contradictory. If the gain is Icp/(2*pi), then the output probably isn't +- Icp or 0--otherwise you could reach +- Icp at 100% duty cycle. No?

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

While I have you two gentlemen online, another quick two questions, if you have a minute: 1. Is the "charge pump gain" specification on a PLL's data sheet the exact same thing as the "charge pump current" specification on other PLL data sheets?; 2. Does increasing the charge pump current setting on the PLL from 1mA to

10mA decrease the lock time by 10x, or just "significantly"?

Thanks!

-Bill

Reply to
billcalley

Yes. Using the same symbol as in previous posts: icp is charge pump gain. If you increase loop gain (e.g. by increasing icp) you will increase loop bandwidth, and the lock time will decrease (roughly) proportionately. You need to make sure you don't make the loop unstable though.

Reply to
Andrew Holme

Great, thanks Andrew!

-Bill

Reply to
billcalley

Phase Locked Loop? Simply means, it compares a given variable signal with a know signal that can be programmed via scalars. The Variable signal normally gets inserted into a programmable scalar system where it then gets mixed with a known stable fixed signal where it can produce -/+ effects to adjust the variable signal oscillator to maintain it at a desired frequency..

So, Hence the reason why they call it PLL, because, it loops around and gets adjusted internally to match the internal stable reference generator. any offset of difference produces bias voltages which can adjust this VCO to maintain a locked freq..

--
   If you were referring to something else, then I guess I just wasted
my time!:)

If the loop is nice and stable to begin with, the transfer function (gain vs frequency) crosses unity gain with a slope of pretty nearly 6 dB per octave, i.e. near there, the loop gain is proportional to 1/f. (*) Small changes in gain therefore change the loop bandwidth in the same proportion--a 5% increase in gain will increase the bandwidth by pretty close to 5%. Factors of ten are another matter, though--it could easily become unstable, as Andrew said. It all depends on the details of your frequency compensation scheme.

Most of the time, PLLs use an op amp in the loop filter, so you can get as much bandwidth as you can handle, irrespective of Ipd. Diode-bridge phase detectors have better SNR if you drive them hard, but once you put something as jittery as logic in there, the rest of the noise contributions are much less important. (Not that you can't still screw it up, but the PD output current isn't the important thing in general.)

It's actually very convenient to use op amps--since we're always building loops that are much slower than the op amp, we can use the ideal op amp laws and put poles and zeros wherever we like by using appropriate RCs in the input and feedback elements.

The thing that always messed me up when I started building PLLs many years ago was that loop gain looked like it had _units_. Kvco is in Hz/V, Kpd is in V/radian, and the loop amplifier's gain is dimensionless. Multiply them together, and you get units of Hz/radian, i.e. 2*pi/seconds. The thing is that the VCO is actually an ideal integrator--if you change its control voltage, the phase starts increasing by 2*pi*Kvco per second, and keeps on going. That means that there's a factor of 1/(2*pi*f) that you have to put in to take account of the frequency rolloff due to the integration. You also have to use the same units throughout, i.e. use volts per cycle and hertz per volt, or volts per radian and radians per second per volt. That way the loop gain comes out dimensionless, which of course it must.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

(*) This is because if the rolloff is much faster than this, the loop phase shift becomes too large, and the loop stability suffers.

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

two

text -

Thanks for the great info and tips Phil -- much appreciatted!

Best Regards,

-Bill

Reply to
billcalley