Vpp different from signal generator and scope

I have something simple but I can't seem to find an answer to it.

I am getting a different Vpp measurement on the scope from the signal generator. When put in a 1Vpp 200KHz square wave from my signal generator, while the frequency is dead on at 200KHz, I got a reading of 2 Vpp on the scope. I made sure the signal generator is outputting Vpp, not RMS. My scope is on DC Coupling.

Does anyone know why my Vpp reading on the scope is doubled?

Many thanks.

Reply to
willwestward

Are you using a divide by 10 probe? If so, have you tuned the probe compensation capacitor to produce a flat frequency response?

Another possibility is that your vertical gain knob has slipped on the shaft, since the gain ranges normally have

1-2-5 volts per cm jumps.

Does your scope have a reference output to check both the frequency response and gain?

Reply to
John Popelish

willwestward@ gmail.com MULTI-POSTED:

Stop being selfish. If you are going to post the same question MULTIPLE times

use this method:
*-*-*-marked-as-Read-in-ALL-*-groups+Newsgroups.line

Reply to
JeffM

It sounds like the rated output is into a fixed impedance, and you don't have a load on the generator. You can get two or more times the rated output when the equipment is used, this way.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The generator needs to be terminated. bg

Reply to
bg

do you have a 50 ohm load on the generator?

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

The signal generator is set to 50ohm output termination. So unless you add 50ohms to the output, the output voltage will be double what you expect.

Many generators will allow you to switch the output to "high impedance" mode and then you will get the output value as indicated on the generator.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones