Villard circuit and transformer question

Could some electronics guru provide some insight into the following ? One can use a Villard multiplier to step-up voltage and a capacitive divider to step-down voltage. However, most power supplies still use a transformer for voltage step-up/down. What is the inherent deficiency of a Villard circuit that prevents it from being used for these purposes. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Reply to
Daku

villard aka cockroft walton no isolation, terrible regulation, and in most cases illegal.

NT

Reply to
NT

"Daku"

** No isolation from the AC supply.

Means there is an inherent electrocution hazard in most applications.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

For step-down you can't get inexpensive efficient durable safe switches. (eg for safety isolation of the output) for step up, it is used (eg in CRT supplies)

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

vibrating switches are prone to going oc, commutating rotating switches are prone to shorting due to carbon buildup.

NT

Reply to
NT

Voltage multipliers do see wide usage in some applications. They are especially suited where you need high voltage, low current and you have a high frequency source to take it from.

At 50/60 cycles the capacitors needed restrict the current you can pull from them - but they are still nice for ion generators, lamp starting circuits, and things of that ilk.

We had some ultrasonic baths at the place I worked that were transformerless and used a doubler to supply the plate voltage for the push-pull transducer driver. A few hundred milliamps for vacuum toobs (that did a double duty of heating the bath by mounting them underneath the stainless steel vessel, as well as supplying high frequency, high voltage and high power)

They did find a lot of application in AC/DC radios and TV's in the

50-60's. I'm using one to light a vacuum fluorescent display that required 35 volts from a 12 volt transformer.

I use capacitive reactance to drop 120 VAC to the 12 volts needed for lighting some series connected LEDs in night light applications. ~.5 uf and full wave bridge rectifier works well for a few 20 milliamp leds. No danger of shock since it is all potted in one piece of plastic.

Reply to
default

No danger of shock or burn out until you can a spike in your line which results as a low XL and thus sents a surge of current to your little LEDS!

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Let me correct that, "CAN" = "GET"

Hard day at the bench..

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Well the first leds needed replacement in ~5 years because they were dimmer after ~50,000 hours. In that time, my modem died twice due to nearby lightening strikes... and the phone line runs underground with a surge suppressor on the line bonded to the power service entrance.

There's a 100 ohm 1/4 W limiter that may be absorbing the spikes and initial capacitor inrush when power is restored.

When playing with the idea I had it open on the bench and accidentally shorted the cap. The resistor opened but there wasn't even a singed covering, and all three leds shorted...

Reply to
default