Variac question

All, I have two variacs, one is the typical type that does not isolate the load from the mains. The other one I have isolates the load. When I use the isolated one to power an inductive load, like a transformer, the load really hums. The non-isolated variac does not do this. Anybody know? Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

How does the isolated one work? (I've never heard of one.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

There's no reason I can think of why that might happen, unless you don't really have an isolated variac and instead have a triac/SCR circuit on the primary of a transformer that provides the actual isolation.

Some Navy gear I worked on had that (back in the 70's) and it was noisy.

Reply to
default

They do make them. Primary winding is close to the core, and the variable tapped winding is on the outside and isolated - bulkier than the usual auto-transformer style of variac, but otherwise identical. They can also be step up or step down at max output voltage.

Reply to
default

I never took the thing apart. I bought it used so I don't have a schematic of the insides. Looks like I should be taking it apart. That's OK, I love looking under the hood. Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

IIRC AutoTransformers can do about 2X the VA of a regular transformer for the same core size. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

I'm curious now -- report back if you find out.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

could be a saturation issue

Reply to
M Philbrook

I was thinking that, but triacs sound like a better candidate. It seems like the saturation would have to be BAD to make a follow-on device noisy.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

--
When the hum happens, is the transformer being fed by the VARIAC
loaded?

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

Yeah. The transformer in this case is in a battery charger. I also, just to see, plugged my regular non- isloated variac into the isolated one. BIG hum. I have been too busy the last couple weeks to take the isolated one apart but I'll let everyone know what it looks like inside later this week. Eric

Reply to
etpm

** If the OP's unit does use a triac, the likely cause is triac misfiring leading to "half waving" of the AC voltage.

Half waving is more likely with inductive loads ( lagging phase angle) and two transformers in series qualifies for that.

Only happens with pulse firing rather than continuous or hard firing.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Humming noises involve using too little copper on the load side (skimping). I'd try increase the diameter of the white or grey wires there.

Reply to
bruce2bowser

I'm not sure you need to take it apart. If it is similar to an autotransformer but with an isolated primary, it will have a largish knob in the center of the transformer that is obviously turning a wiper across the coil. If it is a potentiometer driving a triac type circuit the knob will likely be a small knob or slider. If the distinction in your case is not clear, then I guess you will need to take it apart.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Took it apart last night. As you said it has the isolated primary. No semi-conductors inside, just wires and wipers. Eric

Reply to
etpm

semi-conductors inside, just wires and wipers. Eric "

If you actually have an isolated variac hold on to it. Most of them are simple autotransformers. They work but hot ground is still hot. An isolated one allows you to do more, like work on the primary side of a power supply without floating the scope.

With all these old amps around here I am pretty sure I could dig up something that would put out 120 VAC isolated, but being the lazy asshole I am I just float the scope.

Variacs are actually losing their usefulness. Some modern SMPSes won't start if the voltage comes up slow. There are actually some circuits that will self destruct if brought up slow on a variac. But I certainly would not throw it out.

Reply to
jurb6006

It sez it's isolated. And I am not going to get rid of it. I have found uses for both of my variacs over the years. One function they serve is to remnd me to pick things up. Hitting one with your little toe doesn't have as near as much effect on the variac as it does on your toe. Eric

Reply to
etpm