Using a single power supply for dual supply "Sample and Hold"

Sample and hold IC LF198 operates from +-5V to +-18V. I am assuming that if I bias it using +5V and GND single supply, the only difference will be that it would just be able to handle rail to rail voltages(that is, only positive voltages from 0V to 5V).

Is my assumption correct ?

-Aman

Reply to
aman

Sorry, no. The device needs between 10 and 30 volts across its supply pins in order to function correctly. Where ground is between these voltages is just a matter of input and output signal swing capability.

This detail is hidden in a cryptic comment on the data sheet:

On page 2, directly under the section title "Electrical Characteristics" it says, "The following specifcations apply for -VS +

3.5
Reply to
John Popelish

Ok now these make sense. So if I have to use input of 0 to 5V, I would probably have to use power supply like -3.5 and +8.5 atleast. Correct ?

Reply to
aman

Yes. That would be the minimum that is covered by the spec sheet. Selected individual units may do a bit better than that, but it is not guaranteed.

Reply to
John Popelish

according to the above it wants atleast 10V between it's VSS and VDD

+12 (or +10) and 0 could probably work - unless it needs a ground too.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts