USB and digital power supply

I'm working on a project using a PCM2902 (TI) DAC chip.

In the data sheet, on page 27 (typical circuit connection), it shows pin 27 as Vddi which connects to the USB D+ line via a 1.5K resistor.

I read where USB data is derived from a -200mv and a +200mv above a certain reference on the data lines, so I guess the voltage at Vddi is always there but varies with this (reference + 200mv) fluctuation?

But isn't that a (very?) crude method of powering the digital part of the chip?

Wouldn't it be preferable to have a seperate supply, even a seperate regulator, always on....on the Vddi pin?

It may be a stupid question....but just trying to learn.

Thanks.

Reply to
Michael

Yes Mike, you got it the other way around. VDDi is an output of a voltage regulator. Look at page 10, the supply is via the VBUS terminal. The resistor on the data line pulls up the level to signal the controller, that a device has been connected.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

Ok....I see, thanks.

All this talk of seperate analog and digital supplies and yet internally the chip is fed from the same bus.

?

I had started to read where seperate ground runs aren't nearly as important as seperate power planes.

I guess you don't have that option with this chip.

Reply to
Michael