Universal converter/adapter/transformer

Hi,

First please forgive my very limited knowledge of electronics.

I live in Canada and am looking for a universal converter/adapter/ transformer (not sure of the term) to replace all the adapters for my electric stuff (electronic scale, spotlight, rechargeable tools, etc.). I am wondering what I should buy.

I am very confused about the numbers I see in the Input and Output sections of the different adapters that I use.

- For the Input section, some of the adapters show only Voltage while others show Voltage AND Watts.

- For the Output section, Voltage and Amps seem to always there.

Is there a universal adapter that can handle every possible combination? A good place to buy it?

Is it important to have a universal adapter that can handle different wattages, os are the Voltage and the Amps the only important numbers?

Thank you.

Reply to
Pat

"Pat"

** No such animal exists or could ever be made.

The variety of technical requirements is HUGE so it is essential the dedicated AC supplies be made and employed in each case.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Try Kensington's travel adapter (not sure of trade mark and/or shelf-name) but you can find it in any computer store, laptop batteries/mobile accessories section.

Reply to
StoneThrower

"StoneThrower"

** Huh ??

Did you read the question at all ??

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

For each device, you need an AC power adaptor that will supply the correct voltage, and _at least_ the required current (amps).

Since various devices require various different voltages, it is not possible to make a simple universal do-everything AC adaptor. Any such adaptor would require a voltage selection switch to allow the user to set the voltage as needed (with a considerable chance of serious damage to the device being powered if the voltage is set incorrectly.)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca