Will I fry my video camera with this adapter?

I have a pretty good grasp on computers(Operating systems, software, databases etc...), but my electronics knowledge sucks. So I have a question for the electronics guys... I have a Panasonic Video Camera Model sdr-h18 HDD. I lost the cord that plugs into it when I am not on battery. I really need it tomorow. The panasonic website says that the input is DC 7.9V/7.2. I can't buy one from panasonic in time. Little explanation about the way this thing works. The battery can mount to the charger or the (missing plug) can plug into the charger and then into the camera. So here is a little bit more info on the charger. The back of the charger says output 7.9V, then a line over a dashed line, followed by 1.4A(Video Camera).

Also... Probably useless info, but the back of the charger also says Output 8.4V, then a line over a dashed line, followed by .

65A(Charge).

But... I have a Powerline Universal Adapter with the different voltage settings (i.e. 3V, 4.5V, 6V, 7.5V, 9V, 12V) the adapter is 600mA.

I am hopeing that someone can tell me wether or not I am going to harm my video camera if I set the powerline to 7.5V and plug it in to the back of the Video Camera? If this will do harm I don't want to take a chance. What if I found one that was closer to my needs at walmart or radio shack? (They sell Powerline Universal adapters at 1000mA as well.) Your help is very much appreciated!! Chris

Reply to
ChrisN

Your Powerline Universal Adapter will not have enough power at 600ma to operate your camera. The 1.4A required for your camera is actually 1400ma which is more than twice what the Universal Adapter can supply.

Is this what your missing cord looks like?

If so, it is a very popular cord and perhaps you have a friend that has some type of a/v device whether it is a, portable radio, bookshelf system, cable box, or CD player, which uses the same cord that could be borrowed.

Good luck.

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center

Just glancing at your post, it appears that your charger is missing the wire to connect it to the wall. Is this correct? Is it missing something like this ? If so you can buy those at a lot of different places. I'm pretty sure radio shack stocks a cable of that type and if not you could always borrow one from an xbox, some dvd players, portable boom boxex, or maybe buy one at wal-mart.

HTH

Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

more likely to be a dc barrel plug affair. on all the panasics i've seen anyway. goes from charger to camera not from wall to charger

-b

Don't see any mention of polarity. If that "universal" adapter has the

  • and - swapped from the original adapter, that might not be very good for the camera. A good power input design will protect against reverse polarity, but some manufacturers might try to save a few cents and omit the reverse polarity protection.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

hmm.. 2 barrel connectors one on each end you say? Only idea I have for that is making a cable, but that is probably out of the skill range for the OP.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy