two 9v ac adapter with different mA's

Just curious if the mA output for an ac adapter makes a big difference if the voltage is the same? I have two 9v ac adapters, one with 500mA and the other with 800mA. I believe the two connectors are the same size. Are they interchangeable? Thanks.

Reply to
TheKeith

The 500mA can supply up to 500mA and the 800mA can supply up to 800mA. If your load is less than 500mA you could consider them interchangeable for most practical applications. Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Yepp, but where was the original post?

If the total load is getting up close to 500mA I would be a little skeptical of using the 500mA supply without some additional filtering. It just might cause some problems. Seems like those adapters give some cushion so they don't have to strain under the load.

Pj

Reply to
Pj

The original post is quoted in its entirety. There would be no filtering, the OP said it was an AC supply.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

thanks guys--for some reason the 800 did not work for my dc guitar amp which has the 500mA supply. The plug seemed to have fit though--wonder what happened?

Reply to
TheKeith

Even if the plug fits, the plus and minus may be reversed if the output is DC instead of AC.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Your original post said "AC" adaptors. If they are DC instead my answer may have been a little different.

Center plus or center minus? Regulated or filtered? No load vs. full load voltage?

Regards, Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

yeah sorry, both are AC to DC adapters--i thought that was implied by the word "adapter" but I guess I was wrong. Sorry, I'm not too familiar with this stuff.

Reply to
TheKeith