TV antenna amplifier power injector

Hi,

I'm trying to hook up an active antenna that needs 5V at 30ma to be fed thru the coax, to a tuner that doesn't provide that power. I'm assuming I would be able to just hook up a 5V supply (from a USB socket in this case) to the coax, with a capacitor between the centre conductor and the tuner input.

Will this affect anything adversely? Is there a better way to do it? I wouldn't expect the weak RF signal to affect the computer much, but who knows. :)

The antenna will be mounted indoors near a window so lightning or surges shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I thought of modifying a 2-way passive splitter for this purpose. What cap should I use?>

I'd like to receive VHF and UHF, from 170-230MHz and 500-600MHz. It's a digital TV receiver if that makes a difference.

thanks!

Reply to
eug k

"eug k

** The 5 volt DC power MUST be fed onto the co-ax via an RF inductor.

This is to isolate the PSU from the RF signal.

A value of 5uH should be OK.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

OK.. what about the capacitor?

thanks!

Reply to
eug k

"eug k

** Use any 1nF cap that fits.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

eug

Keep the inductor lead which connects to the RF path very short.

steve balstone stephen balstone

Reply to
steve.balstone

What inductor? Why keep the inductor lead short? Ed

Reply to
ehsjr