turning a 1" shaft with a stationary 12v motor

I need to slowly turn a 1" shaft clockwise and counter-clockwiset with a small 12v DC motor. The motor doesn't need a lot of torque. The motor needs to be stationary and connected to some device that will turn the shaft. I've looked around the web and with no success. Any suggestions?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

A newsgroup that deals with mechanical issues would be a good start.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

A gearmotor. Allelectronics.com

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

How bout just a belt? If it just need to be slow and no torque then using a rubber band might even work. Although when changing direction there might be some slipping.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Hello Mike,

If your not wanting to use a stepper motor then a auto Window Motor might work. It is permanent magnet right angle gear motor. High output torque for many DC applications. Use a dc voltage controller to adjust the speed.

SPECIFICATIONS a.. RPM 150 at 12 VDC no load b.. Voltage 12 DC c.. Amps 3-1/2 no load d.. Reversible e.. Duty continuous

Good Luck,

  • * * Christopher

Temecula CA.USA

christopher

--
Support the shaft on pillow blocks and drive it with sprockets on
the motor shaft and the shaft and a chain connecting them?

Or put a pinion on the motor shaft and drive the supported shaft
with a mating gear.
Reply to
John Fields

You don't need torque then just find a piece of rubber hose to mate the shaft with the motor, use a geared reduction motor to turn it slowly. Also you can simply strap the motor to a piece of board for the support.

Reply to
James Thompson

You could construct a gearbox using standard parts for models or you might do it with pulleys and belts. Pulleys could be made to size from wood or plastic.

Roger Dewhurst

hi, how about a window wiper motor , or a door glass electric motor from a car ?

mark k

Reply to
mark krawczuk

Even easier, just slip a small piece of rubber hose over the motor shaft, and use it as a friction drive against the 1" shaft. You'll need to be able to apply tension to the motor to control the friction, easily done with a spring. There are lots of variants on this scheme. If you can put a rubber tire around the 1" shaft then the bare motor shaft can drive it. Or use an intermediate rubber idler. Take apart an old tape recorder to get some parts. The capstan pressure roller would make a good idler. Many units have rubber-rimmed driven wheels to try.

Best regards,

Bob Masta D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Signal Generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

Neither of those motors are designed for continuos duty service.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

They're also about 10,000% overkill for the OPs original question: "I need to slowly turn a 1" shaft clockwise and counter-clockwiset with a small 12v DC motor. The motor doesn't need a lot of torque. ..."

Rat Shack has a cute little "Hobby Motor":

This one's cheaper:

although, either of these (or any other similar motor you could find with a simple google search) might need to be geared down considerably.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

,_12VDC_.html

5 RPM GEAR MOTOR, 12VDC

Rugged 5 RPM gear motor designed to move baffles in automotive air conditioning. Ideal for continuous or intermittent use where power, slow rotation, low noise and low current are desired. Drive mechanism consists of a small DC motor with a worm gear driving a four gear train. Final drive is a plastic splined shaft, 0.52" diameter x 0.5" long. The composite plastic housing is easily opened for access to the motor, gears and electrical terminals. Overall dimensions of assembly including mounting flanges and shaft is approximately 3.12" x 4.25" x 1.62." No load measurements: 5 RPM @

13.5 Vdc @ 15 mA. CAT# DCM-276

Your Price: $9.00 each

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

You're after a small antenna rotator?

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Reply to
Mike

Some of the surplus places sell them. Don't ignore cogbelts and the wheels for them.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Please follow convention and bottom-post, thanks.

Depending on what torque you need, I'd think just a wheel and a big rubber band for a belt could do the trick, or a wheel with a rubber "tire" that the motor shaft spins against, a la capstan and pinch roller

Or, if you get a piece of plastic, and you're handy with tools, you could make a gear in your workshop.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I've seen wipers running for hours on end, but yeah a car that's done

500000km (300000mi) may have only been running for less than a year.

still a wiper motor is likely to outlast a toy motor or a cheap tool motor.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Wiper motors don't have a lot of torque compared to winch motors... OP didn't give a figure for "not a lot".

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

You think so? A wiper motor is usually mounted where moist air can blow across it, to help cool it. Do you have any idea how much current a wiper motor uses, even with no load? Do you have any idea how many hours a wiper motor is built to run? I have replace three or four that have failed in the 35+ years that I've been driving, and I never ran the wipers that much.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida