Transformer lead color

I found a power transformer in my garage which I need to use. Primary wires are black. On the other side it has 2 red wires and 2 green wires.

Is there some standard color code for transformer wire?

Only ID on case is 710-4235-03 and then 549-7710.

Have not found a part # reference so I guess trial and error measurements are next.

Reply to
Stumpy

If it matters I have 8 ohms accross the black wires, 4 ohms accross the red ones, and 0.5 accross the green ones. Infinity accross any non-matching colors.

Reply to
Stumpy

Usually the 2 black wires are the primary as you mentioned. The red wires are high voltage wires. Could be almost any voltage , most likely from about

120 to 500 volts. While not on your transformer, if there was a third red wire with a stripe on it, it would be the center tap . The green wires are often called the filiment winding. Usually 6.3 or 12.6 volts AC if the primary is connected to 120 volts.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I would bet a dollar that the black wires are the primary, the red wires are a medium voltage output (less than the primary), while the green pair are a lower output voltage.

Reply to
John Popelish

Connect the black wires to 12 VAC and measure the other voltages.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Yeah, You'd get the dollar. I hooked it up to house AC and got 23Vac on red, and 14Vac on green.

Soon as I dust off a Variac I've got an adjustable DC power supply.

Reply to
Stumpy

You might want to consider adding a couple more components to it.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Of course, I made the bridge rectifier circuit with a 2 capacitor and inductor filter, but blew up capacitors when I tried to feed it with a dimmer switch. This second go-round is just to incorporate a step-down transformer and an autotransformer in place of the dimmer switch. Trying to learn from my mistakes.

Reply to
Stumpy