Tips on DMM for a newbie?

They're the ones to avoid. I wouldn't countenance a meter with an unfused 20 amp range. There's a video on the Web (Link from the Gossen site, IIRC) of a TÜV test on a DMM that'll make the point.

The Fluke 80 series (fused) alarms if you have a lead in either current socket with a voltage or resistance range selected. Not totally foolproof, but it's better than nothing.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Portugal.

-- "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)

Reply to
Fred Abse

Do you mean advice on which DMM to buy, or advice on using a DMM?

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Have a look at Dave Jones' EEVBLOG:

in particular the "$50 Multimeter shootout", and the "$100 Multimeter shootout, parts 1 & 2".

Reply to
The Phantom

Agreed, but since he is looking for a cheap one it is likely that he will come across such a meter and I thought he should be warned.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi