Thinking process involved when designing analog electronic circuits

I've got many of the books others listed, though I don't recall Bob Pease's "Troubleshooting Analog Circuite" mentioned - IMHO, it's as much about design as anything. And unlike so many of his 'porridge' articles, the book is (best as I can remember) quite narrowly focused on the field of electronics.

I'm far from a hotshot designer, but one thing that has given me ideas is paging through collections of schematics (preferably with explanations, but often not needed). Any book titled "Encyclopedia of Electronic Circuits" - there appears to be seven volumes with that title from Rudolf F. Graf and/or others, but I only have five of them. I also see an unrelated book with that title.

Many of these schematics are quite simple things you might find from the Radio Shack/Forest Sims "Engineer's Notebooks" (not that there's anything wrong with those things), and heck they may have come from there, but many are from the ED "Design Ideas" section and such as well. But they all give ideas of how to use transistors in various configurations, things I might not have seen before or haven't seen in a long time, and that might be a good fit for some design problem.

Also, "High SPeed Diital Design" because it shows how at some level, digital design is really analog.

Reply to
Ben Bradley

Fun -- just a couple ten miles south of me. (Not at liberty to divulge the party, I suppose?)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Hamilton Sundstrand, with a couple of P&W guys there, too. I have never met a doofus or a jerk from either company... I don't know how they do that.

John

Crap? The Digikey catalog is the best toy box ever invented. The "crap" we see is most often linear and mixed-signal ICs with bugs... bizarre behavior, latchup, bad documentation, sometimes outright failures.

A lot of board design is connecting boxes. But there's still a lot of component-level stuff going on, at the pcb level, especially for power and high-speed applications. Those cheap gumdrop ICs enable us to simplify the easy stuff and either do more radical discrete circuits, or move up the abstraction stack.

John

The first time I saw one of those, I asked the guy, "Is that so you can make 100 mistakes a minute?"

He didn't laugh.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

A personnel guy who knows his elbow from a hole in the ground? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 15:22:11 -0800, Ken S. Tucker wrote: ... It's function is to communicate.

This sentence two verb.

Cheers!

--
Rich Grise, Self-Appointed Chief,