Thermistor Voltage Supply Question

Hi guys, quick question for the experts.

I'm playing with a system of thermistors feeding an RS485 Networked ADC to my computor.

My supply is 5V with a 47k resistor as a Voltage divider with the thermistor acting as the low side.

Q: Can i use the same resistor to feed multiple channels or is it better to use a seperate one for each channel?. I'm only useing std cheap resistors but they vary ie 46.1k and 46.3k for

47k resistors. If i feed off the same one I can use the same values in my temperature calculation rather than having to measure each one.

Any thoughts please. TIA

--
Terminal_Crazy

Mitch - 1995 Z28 LT1 M6          terminal_crazy@sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Terminal Crazy

Use a current mirror(google) to feed each termistor.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Sorry stupid question... all the inputs would be connected to the same point. Duh.

--
Terminal_Crazy

Mitch - 1995 Z28 LT1 M6          terminal_crazy@sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Terminal Crazy

Best is to use a Wheatstone bridge, and amplify the imbalance between two legs (sense leg =3D +V through 47k pullup to tap, from tap to GND through thermistor). The reference leg of the bridge is at the ADC (so resistors match in temperature) and the sense leg is at the to-be-sensed temperature. That way, your sensors can be individually tuned for a common 'zero' point with adjustments to their pullups. The bridge amplifier (just about any slow op amp will do fine) will boost the temperature signal to, ideally, a few volts so the ADC has good temperature resolution.

This requires three wires, though, to the sensor. Other sensor types that make a two-wire solution, like AD590 or a diode-connected transistor, might be suitable, too.

Reply to
whit3rd

yes, use a CD4016 or similar to steer the current to the desired thermistor before reading it. (unless you're interested in measuring how well insulated the thermistor is)

if you don't have control over when the device takes readings from the thermistors this probably won't work.

Jasen Betts