TCA0372 1A opamp stability probs?

Anyone used a TCA0372 1A output opamp? Seems prone to oscillate? Does it need some minimum gain to be stable? I'm running it from +-15V, two equal resistor inverters in series, input is 10.00V reference, trying to make a +-10V pot rail supply. Its squirrelly. Would a BFC across the feedback R help?

Reply to
BobG

Wow, an amp out of a DIP! I've never used it. Do you have a capacitor on the output? I've made the mistake several times of using an opamp for a power supply and I then hang 0.1uF cap on it.... "Why's this thing oscillating?"

A BFC in the feedback may help. There are other 'tricks' to help an opamp drive a capacitor. (If that's the problem.)

George H.

Can you really get an amp out off it without it burning up?

Reply to
George Herold

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D It gets hotternhell, but I havent left any skin on it yet, so I guess I'm shuttin it off fast enough. I used to use an opamp with an LT1010 buffer, but I thought I'd try something new, but its a whole new set of weird problems.

Reply to
BobG

The usual trick is to use a resistor (100 ohms or so) in series with the output, and connect the feedback resistor

*after* that (not directly at the output pin). A small capacitor (10-50 pF) is used between the output pin and inverting input.

This scheme works great for driving (say) long cables using "normal" op-amps. I think it would be a bad choice as a power supply, though, since the series resistor would be wasting power (and reducing output range).

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v6.02 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter Frequency Counter, FREE Signal Generator Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

u really get an amp out off it without it burning up?

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

I couldn't find a maximum power disipation number on the spec sheet. Just a footnote saying don't let the die get above 150 C. (And then you get to work through the thermal resistances...) But something like 1 Watt looks like a max power depending on the package. How much current are your pots drawing?

I like the OPA544T as a power opamp, but it's not cheap.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Thanx for the replies guys. Nice to see some electrical chat occaisionally. The +-10V opamps are just driving the rails of a couple of 5K pots in a servo.... I'll try the R in the feedback loop fix.

Reply to
BobG

Bob Masta you de man. 100ohms in the feedback loop seems to make it stop singing.

Reply to
BobG

Thanks, but it wasn't original with me! I think I saw that many years ago in a Walt Jung book or article. I've used it for driving long cables, but always with the feedback cap as well (from the original article). Maybe your setup has enough parasitic C to do the job? May only take a few pF. I no longer remember the math to pick the values (if I ever knew it), but "rule of thumb" seems to work well!

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v6.02 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter Frequency Counter, FREE Signal Generator Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

I ran into something like that with a Pentawatt TO220 op amp.

It needed a cap and resistor on the output (a "snubber") or would pick up every radio station around and try to drive the motor I was using with MHZ noise. It also ran hot.

Driving me crazy until I put a speaker across the motor and heard an AM station. .22 and 10 ohm in series from each output to ground (using 2 push-pull to run the motor bi directionally off one supply)

Reply to
default

Lets see... At 15k Hz, well assume Xc reactance to be ~48.25 Z = sqrt(Xc^2+10^2)= Sqrt(2328+100) = 49.27 give or take a bit..

SO, lets see the Z at lets say 100khz

Xc = 7.29

Z = sqrt(7.29^+10^) = sqrt(52+100) = 12;

So, we can see that at 100Khz, the load Z would be 12 ohms and at 15khz , 49.

So it is assumed that since 10 ohms is enough load to stop oscillation the cap in series will render the load as an open circuit at low freqs.

Inductive loads like speakers and such tend to have some H-Z at radio freqs.. that little series Z match helps with that with out places a too low of a Z on the output. At least it stops a lot of op-amp and amp circuitry from oscillating, since the output will look like a low Z at the attempted oscillating freq..

There is a name for this type of circuit in audio land, I just can't remember it at the moment.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

zobel network