Stopping RFI from a PC

For those interested in a view of the PSU that was defective, see . I'm sure the view is quite a bit like the one that is currently in the PC.

For those wanting me to put a filter on the line, I bought a Radio Shack filter and tried it. No effect.

As I mentioned in some other part of this thread, note that if I plug the other computer in the room to the same room outlet as the PC with the new PSU that causes the noise, it too causes the same noise. Either computer in the room will cause the same noise when plugged into the same outlet, not just the one I originally discovered was involved. That is, one might conclude that it is the outlet that is the source of the noise, and not the PSU.

That's about as far as I'm going with this problem. It'll have to wait for another day.

               Obz Site:  39° 15\' 7" N, 121° 2\' 32" W, 2700 feet

          "... astronomy is useful because it shows [not only] how small
           our bodies are, but how large our minds are." -- Henri Poincare

                     Web Page:
Reply to
W. Watson

nope, try using a UPS unit on one device like the Computer.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Nothing in Radio Shack attached to that power cord can solve the RFI problem. Cheap filter on power cord was never properly recommended because it would accomplish nothing. To be effective, a 'power cord' filter would cost maybe $100. Effective filter must be power supply internal. The Radio Shack filter would not solve a problem created by a missing internal filter. Power supply internal filter is often 'forgotten' when selling only on 'price and power' numbers.

Meanwhile, a damning fact was from power supply vendor who said detailed and numerical specifications were not available. That implies a power supply will be missing essential functions - as demonstrated by RFI noise. How many other essential functions are also missing? That supply is more useful as a doorstop.

The outlet is not a source of such noise. Some outlets are wired so to be better antennas. Any power supply that transmits RFI is defective > For those interested in a view of the PSU that was defective, see

Reply to
w_tom