Stepping Motors

Well, maybe if you cranked each one to a voltage about .6 or .7 V above what you need, give each one a dummy load of some kind and an isolation diode, and hope that they'll current share - at least the diodes should keep them from eating each other. ;-)

(I don't trust SMPSs since the time I went through about three SSRs - apparently the switchers were eating my SSRs. )-; )

I'll try to remember; I'm not terribly gung-ho about it, and because of budget constraints, I don't plan on actually putting it on ebay yet; I'm so broke I couldn't afford to ship it unless I got paid in advance. )-;

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I posted a pdf in a.b.s.e written by Suded Emmanuel which explains a bit about current control for a steeper for safely maximizing torque.. It was from a web page that I saved. I couldn't find the page online, so I made pdf of it. I haven't built the circuit provided but it looks like it should work just fine. SGS Thompson also has a decent app note on the subjest, so you may want to try and find that also.

There is a high torque drive method that energizes 2 windings at once. I can post a pdf of that also if you are interested, or maybe someone could explain it here.

Mike Hobbyist also

Reply to
Mike

Greetings Rich and Don, Follow this link:

It's a good primer on stepper motor basics. It talks about driving the motors at higher than nameplate voltages. Either by using resistors to keep the current within range or with "chopper drivers" which use current sensing to prevent burning up the motors. With chopper type systems up to 50 times nameplate voltage may be used. When I built a stepper driver using only resistors I used 5 volt motors at I think 60 volts. By the way Don, if Rich's motor is too big and/or worth too much I'll send you one for postage. Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Thanks Mike I'll come back to you if I may need it... still deciding =)

Jason.

Reply to
Jason S