Soldering near a filled plane

Gentlemen:

I recently ordered a PC board from Express PCB and, to save money, I got their economy-type board that has no solder mask. I have done this before for small, prototype projects with good results.

But this time I designed the circuit with a filled ground plane around the traces. The CAD program automatically leaves spaces around the traces, but not very big spaces. Now I am finding it extremely difficult to solder without bridging onto the ground plane.

Are there any soldering tricks that will help me salvage this board, or do I have to pay for a new one with a solder mask?

Don

Reply to
eromlignod

I feel your pain. A few months ago, our new boss decided he'd have us save $20 and leave off the solder mask on a prototype board. It was a fairly simple board but did have a half-dozen TSOPs on it. Our tech wasn't a happy camper. To save that $20 he wasted several hours; good use of time.

My suggestion is to acknowledge the lesson learned and suck it up. ;-)

Reply to
krw

A paste/liquid flux might help by assisting the solder in "wetting" the traces and the ground plane area. It's probably okay, at least in most spots, for there to be solder on the ground plane as long as it doesn't bridge to a trace. The flux should help by making the copper areas more attractive to the solder so that it beads up rather than laying there in a passive puddle.

Of course, a small tip on the iron and fine gauge solder will help but I assume you've already tried that?

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Re-order the board with a solder mask, and chalk it up to experience.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs
[snip]

Put nail polish on the ground plane? Fumes might be an issue if the iron hits it.

Kapton tape, if you can find/afford it?

Reply to
Randy Day

That's how I order my boards, and I really don't have much problem. Use a clean, fine-tip iron, a good magnifier (I use an assembly microscope), and keep the solder-wick handy for when the solder just wants to bridge.

I find that big uninsulated solder plane to be handy when I need someplace to put a ground probe, or if I need to dead-bug bits of circuit onto a prototype board.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Spray the board with clear KRYLON

Direct contact with the iron vaporizes the coating while leaving outer areas protected.

Reply to
Herman

try drawing a solder mask on with a permanent marker, or a paint pen.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

Well, I tried spraying it with conformal coating and it seems to work well. Thanks for all your help guys.

Don

Reply to
eromlignod

Uline.com sells Kapton tape.

Reply to
Michael Robinson

It's not expensive or hard to find. 18 rolls of 1/2" x 108' Kapton tape is $30 at DigiKey. A single roll of the same is about $6 at Amazon. Wider and narrower is also readily available.

Reply to
krw